Search

Restaurant recommendations Bruges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant recommendations Bruges

Hello
Please can anyone recommend restaurants in Bruges? We will be there for 3 nights in early November.
Accommodation and travel by Eurostar already booked.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:16 AM

It would be very helpful if you post your restaurant budget.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Sure! We'd be interested in something around 40- 50 euros per person without drinks.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Bistro Den Huzaar
Vlamingstraat 36 - just off the main square.Tel: 050 33 37 97
We had a wonderful meal there. Try the delicious mixed selection of desserts to finish off your lunch or dinner.
Loved the atmosphere there as well as the food.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Wow, 40-50 euro per person without drinks is way out of our range, but we did enjoy the following (about 40-50 euro for two people with drinks):

In't Nieuw Museum, Hooistraat 42. It's a neighborhood grill restaurant. Had a couple of tables of local folks playing cards, drinking beers, snacking. Relaxed, friendly service. Watch your chops and steaks being grilled. I did write it up in my trip report.

There was also a pleasant Italian Restaurant in Brugge that I'll try to find and add to this thread.

Dang, that reminds me that I never got back to my trip report to finish up Delft and Amsterdam. I have now put it onto my To-Do list for this week.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:33 AM

One of the best places we had dinner in Brugge was 'Tom's Diner"..don't let the name fool you. You can google it and find several other reviews. Their website

http://users.pandora.be/tom.s.diner.bvba2/

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I agree with Tom's Diner. The food is outstanding, and the 17th century building with authentic interior adds to the atmosphere.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Your budget is much higher than mine also. We had great meals for about 45 euro each with wine.

Hotel 't Zand - they also have restaurant and everything was just wonderful - service, presentation, food. It is on the 't Zand, pedestrian square.

Hotel 't Putje - had a seafood platter that was incredible. Again, service, presentation and food were wonderful. It is just around the corner from the 't Zand (if you are facing Hotel 't Zand, you would go to the right and around the corner).

We saw so many restaurants that looked good but we were staying at the Hotel 't Zand and the menu looked good. The 't Putje was recommended to us by a couple of the local lace makers.

If you are into beer, there is a beer pub that sells 400 kinds of beer. A bit overwhelming but we had the bartender help us decide.

Have fun! I loved Brugge and wished I could have spent more time there.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM

We'll be in Bruges for three nights next month and I'm saving all these suggestions.

Thank you.

Byrd
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Pardon me for this senior moment here... but I would heartedly recommend the ___________, (please insert name). It may start with Den ... It is one of the better fine dining restaurants in Brugge. Their speciality, is that they serve many types of beer along with the meals. DH had the beer sampler menu and it was excellent with about five different beers.

It is in your price range and was a lovely dining experience. I'm sure that your hotel or maybe another Fodorite will know the name. I don't know about November, but we were there a few years ago at the end of March, on a week night and the tables were full.

Check your guide book for Brugge restaurants and I'm sure you will find it .... look for the beer reference.

Nina
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:01 PM

The restaurant is Den Djiver--not sure about the spelling--but it faces a canal and boat rental place that has lots of colorful wooden shoes on the front. We liked a seafood restaurant that was quite good and very popular and I cannot recall the name. But it is directly behind the ancient market place that sells fish on certain days. In fact, the back door opens onto it. But you would enter the restaurant on the opposite side. My dinner was a Flemish version of Boulliabase and was excellent. DH had prawns and a sort of chowder. Nice wine selection and service.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM

For casual (25€ per person on average, but you can eat for less): Restaurant Bonheur on Smedenstraat, 050 33 41 06. We usually eat here when we're in Bruges for the day. Friendly, good food, a little off the most popular tourist streets. I like Smedenstraat, lots of interesting little shops and cafes, has a nice residential feel. One of the girls working at Bonheur is studying at the film school in Brussels, she's fun to talk to. Closed Wednesdays.

For a splurge, Den Gouden Harynck (golden herring). Excellent in every way. 1 Michelin star. Tucked down a side street near the Groeninge Museum and Gruuthuse.
www.dengoudenharynck.be
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks Nini - that's it, Den Djiver. We were in Brugge for four or five days and we had some excellent meals, fish included. Our hotel, the Adornes recommended a few small 'locals' type of places. We ate very well during our stay. Den Djiver was recommended by a friend.

Nina
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks all of you for excellent recommendations! My mouth is watering!