restaurant question

Search

restaurant question

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
restaurant question

This may seem silly, but I want to avoid annoying servers across Europe. When ordering in most European countries, do you order the starter, main course and dessert all at once, or do you do as is done in America and order each thing as the meal progresses? Thanks for the guidance.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM

when I have ordered multiple courses, I have done it all at once...except for maybe dessert.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least in France, the dessert menu has mostly been presented to me after the main course.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Most places expect you to order your starters and the main course. Sometimes a dessert is asked too.

Normally the main course will take some time, so tuck into the starter while the main course is cooking.

This also gives the waiter time to fix up the hardware~special items for fish, etc..

Personally, I like to decide that my starter will blend into my main course.

But everybody are different.

Blackduff
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Most often one orders starter and main course, and the server comes back at the end of the main course to take orders for cheese (especially in France) and/or dessert, and coffee or tea.

In central Europe I am sometimes asked to order dessert when ordering starter and main. It may have happened elsewhere, but I don't remember it.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM

As in the US you order the starter and the main course together. When you have finished them you will be given the dessert menu.

That is unless you are having the menu of the day or a multi-course tasting menu.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Agree, you order the starter and main course up front. Occasionally, if you're ordering something like a dessert soufflé that takes a long time to prepare, you'll want to order it at the beginning of the meal, but otherwise your cheese and/or dessert and coffee/after-dinner drinks are ordered when the main meal is cleared.
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM

In Italy, dinner is served in several courses (antipasto, primo, secundo, etc). You can order them all up front (not dessert), or in stages, as you like. The second method takes longer.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I just didn't want to assume everything was ordered as it is in the US, only to look the fool on our trip. I appreciate the guidance!
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM

If they want you to order the dessert at the outset, they will definitely tell you. As St Cirq says, it's only when there is a requirement for a lot of lead time: usually something to be baked (fondant au chocolat, tarte Tatin, dessert souffle)

Normally you order all other courses at the outset.

You order the wine when YOU want to.

I have occasionally been asked about wine before I had chosen my food. Not the sign of a serious restaurant, BTW. But I just say I'll wait to order until I have chosen the food it is to accompany.

I can't imagine anywhere in NA where you order each course as you are ready for it -- the delays must be horrendous!
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM

<b>I can't imagine anywhere in NA where you order each course as you are ready for it -- the delays must be horrendous! </b>

I agree with capxx with deciding second and third courses in Italy.

Odering meals in Italy is a big &quot;art&quot; with food. First, the waiter can just tell you what's good today. No menu is provided. No prices are involved at that stage.

When the first course is finished, the waiter will suggest the next course. Etc., etc., etc..

Dining in Naples hasn't created &quot;fast food&quot;. Actually, it's a very slow meal but quite nice, taking a couple of two or three hours for lunch. It keeps you from being stuffed like a turkey bird.

Lovely meals in Naples, even it takes some time.

Blackduff
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Actually people often order courses separately in America if they are enjoying a leisurely meal. For instance, you often sit down and order a drink first, then peruse the menu and order a started, then once you've enjoyed that order your main course. I agree it's probably more common to order all at once, but it's definitely not odd to do it the other way!
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Absolutely! We order &quot;in stages&quot; all the time (here in the US), especially when relaxing and dining with friends.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM

It will depend on the restaurant and its management. A white glove affair! Separate servers for each item or course? 90% of restaurants use a single server to 'work' four or five tables. You need be forward..tell the server what you want and how you would like it served. Otherwise you will continually be trying to get his/her attention. You are the customer. I have had splendid results if entertaining customers by pre-tipping the server.