Restaurant in Paris

Search

Restaurant in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant in Paris

We will be in Paris for about a week with 3 adults and two young children (age 3 and 1). We won't do a lot of big eating out excursions, but want at least one meal with the full gamut of courses - hors d'ouvres, dessert and everything in between. Can someone recommend a restaurant or two? We are staying in the 1st arrondissement not far from the Louvre with the closest Metro- Pont Neuf (Line 7). Thank you!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Potentially sensitive question, but are you planning to take the little ones to these multi-course dinners? The answer may drive the types of recommendations you get.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes, they will likely be with us. Thank you for asking. I know this is the part that will change the answers to my question. There are plenty of restaurant recommendations on this site, but I wanted to find a place that had the true experience that wouldn't look down on us for bringing our kids with us. They are well-behaved, but the 3 year old can have some trouble sitting still for long periods of time.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM
ira

Hi K,

Almost every resto in Paris offers the full gamut.

What's your budget?

Where will you be staying?

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM

Au Chien qui Fume (The smoking Dog)
33 Rue du Pont Neuf, 75001 Paris
Restaurantion Classique, they say:
http://www.au-chien-qui-fume.com/index-gb.htm
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:30 AM

KMwhill, I have 2 small children also so I hope you don't take offense to this but we have never seen small children in any of the restaurants in which we have dined. They have ranged from Astrance to more relaxed and casual (and reasonable) like Le Troquet. Many restaurants are small and tables are close together. Service is not rushed so a multi course meal can take 3 hours. There is no room to have your child walk around if he has problems sitting or entertainment like crayons and coloring books. You'd be best at perhaps an outside cafe or doing a great multi course picnic. You would all be more comfortable.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Some of the brasseries I have been in have two dining areas, one for more casual and one for more 'serious'. So that could be an option. Also perhaps the 'Chez Clement' restaurants would be more comfortable - menu is available on their website.

Another thing is to make a point of looking in the windows of places as you pass by, see if other families are dining there.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM

The Leon de Bruxelles chain have children's menus so they obviously expect children, and some outside seating along Blvd. St. Germain but I've never seen a large group there.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Habitat Cafe, 8 rue du Pont Neuf, has a children's menu. Chez Flottes, on rue Cambon, also has a children's menu, I believe.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM

We had a great dinner at Robert et Louise, in Marais. Our children were 3 & 4 at the time, so a little older than yours. Our reservation was when the doors opened (6 or 7 - can't remember) and the children were welcomed. It is a very small casual bistro, and some tables are communal. The food was really nice (husband & I had escargot, entrecote and shared the cheese platter - kids had sausage & omelette, and I'm sure some kind of chocolate dessert). warning however - the bathroom is ATROCIOUS. One of those down the alley out back open the door and see a hole in the floor kind of jobbies. My 4 year old son, however, thought it was very cool. House wine is excellent.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM

hhildebrandt...Thanks so much for The Smoking Dog link. That is quite near where I will be staying next month and definitely going on my list. Plus the dog logo looks so much like my Springer it made it a must!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM

You might consider Bistro de Breteuil which serves continuosly so you could have an early dinner. This is an all prix fixe menu but could most likely accomodate small children. Here's the link:
http://www.bistrocie.fr/anglais/bist...teuil_int.html
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM

bookmarking
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with the brasserie suggestion, along with the chains suggestions.

But from personal experience, don't go to Hippopotomus (a chain), which is recommended in many guidebooks as kid-friendly. Yes it's kid-friendly, but it's just not good food. It was the one bad meal out we had with our 2 and 4 year olds.

Good chains: Leon de Bruxelles and Chez Clement.

Brasseries: Before kids, we were at La Coupole one night, it was about 11:00 p.m., and we were next to a table with two families and their young children. The kids were running around, and we watched carefully for some sort of response from the staff - and there was none. They were having a great time and a great meal. I'm not saying your kids should run around, but it speaks to the relaxed attitude there.

We went to Brasserie I'le St. Louis one evening, early for Paris, around 6:30 p.m., with the 2 and 4 yr. old It was the best! Well over two hours, very relaxed, fun atmosphere, great food. I had the choucroute garni, my wife had the coq au riesling (she said it was the best meal of the trip). The kids had a ham and cheese omelet, and ice cream for dessert. So good we went again 3 nights later. It's less than 3/4 mile from the Metro Pont Neuf.

Last word of advice. Ignore those who say you shouldn't do something you want to do. You'll remember this meal with your little ones your whole life.

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Another vote for both the smoking dog as well as chez clement. We ate at both last summer. We actually went to the smoking dog twice as we all had such good meals there.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:12 AM

One of my favorite restaurants in the 7th is Cafe Roussillon on the corner of Rue Cler and Rue de Grenelles. They have a very good and varied menu. Their steak for 2 is 38 Euros and is a bargain! It is really large enough for 3 people. The menu also has some salads, duck etc. The house wines are great, starting at about 9 Euros for a pitcher.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:57 AM

LOL, we also had lunch at Cafe Rousillion Very good lunch.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your advice, especially laughingd2. We will do a dinner out and will enjoy it!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 02:47 AM

We've been to Bistro de Breteuil many times, and have never seen any children there.

We also like Cafe Roussillon, but wouldn't recommend going there with young children, as it's also a bar with a very lively bar scene (and it's very, very loud evenings).

However, take a look at Chez Flottes in the 1st, right around the corner from Place de la Concorde. Beautiful interior, extensive menu (available in English), very good food, moderate prices. It's one of the few places in Paris I've ever seen high chairs and booster seats, and families dining. Note that the bar in the photos is more a dining counter for solos, not really a cocktail bar. We visit this restaurant at least once every trip. They even have a children's menu (rare in Paris), though you may do better ordering a la carte off the regular menu for them.

www.flottes.fr
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:22 AM

At Chez Flottes, try the Aligote, a French version of mashed taters that is super rich and tasty. The croque sandwiches are very good also, the Provencal Croque is an all veggie version. The kids will love the frites and you will like the reasonable tab.