Rest. In St. Jean de Luz

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Robert

Rest. In St. Jean de Luz

Any recommendations for bistro type rest. in St. Jean de Luz or surrounding areas ? Looking for typical Basque food from the area. Thank you.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Maribel

Robert,<BR>Thanks to a Pays Basque magazine rec., we found a tiny, unassuming place near the train station called "Pil Pil Enea" which we love. Pays Basque mag. consisently gives it their #1 rating for fish dishes, particularly the "merlu" (hake), "morue" (cod) and a wonderful tyypically Basque veal stew, "axoa". It's completely off the trodden path and painted to resemble a small Basque farm house (real estate sign on 2nd fl gives the impression that it's for sale-it's not!), located on 3 rue de Sallagoiti, near a church and the corner of Av. Jaureguiberry, just a block or so up from the Les Halles (market). They have a terrific 27 euro menu that will make you very happy.<BR>The chef and his partner are pelota aficionados, so you'll see lots of pictures of pelota matches on the walls. You will eat very, very well "Basque style" there for a very reasonable price. This I guarantee!<BR><BR>For a more "high style" meal, my Belle France newsletter says the La Taverne Basque, #5 on "restaurant row", the Rue Republique, has a new Basque chef, Benoit Sarthou, whose star is definitely on the rise. "Basque with a flourish", they say. We didn't get to try him this time (my better half always insists on going to "Pil Pil"). Atmospheric interior with wood-beamed ceiling and fireplace. Look for the good value 20 euro prix fixe luncheon menu.<BR><BR>We've also enjoyed "Chez Maya" on 2 rue St.-Jacques but haven't been in a while. Very Basque.<BR><BR>You're going to love St.-Jean-de-Luz.<BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:17 AM
francesca

We loved Chez Paco, near the market. It is unpretentious and the food is excellent. The restaurant in the Helianthal hotel and spa is also first rate, but more formal in a huge art deco dining room. St Jean de Luz is truly wonderful, I hope you enjoy it.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 02:00 AM
francesca

Sorry, that's Chez Pablo!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Robert

Thank you all for the recommendations.