Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question for Men- How do you pack light with those big shoes??

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:25 AM
kristen

I am trying to help my husband pack light for a trip to Italy in late Sep/early Oct. I REALLY want to carry on all of our luggage. The problem is, of course....shoes!<BR><BR>He will want to bring: <BR>walking sandals <BR>tennis shoes (I haven't convinced him that he won't want to "work out" at the hotel gym)<BR>walking shoes<BR>dressier shoes for dinners (we want to hit a couple nicer restaurants)<BR><BR>My question is - can any of these shoes be "combined"? ie: can anynone recommend walking shoes that can also be athletic-shoes, or walking shoes that can also be dressier evening shoes? We are willing to buy new shoes for the trip.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Rex

Unless there is high powered business to be conducted on the trip (and maybe even if there is), one pair of shoes - - a nice pair of shoes comfortable to walk all day in will be fine.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:36 AM
ShoeFly

<BR>Your husband will have to decide whether it's worth it to him to carry a pair of dressy shoes on your entire trip just so he can wear them at a few nicer restaurants.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:36 AM
bigfoot

I only ever take one pair of shoes with me. I thought it was only women who pack 12 pairs of shoes!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Janice

I don't think he's going to really want to work out. If anybody has that much energy, they simply haven't spent enough time walking around sightseeing! Good luck...

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Jim

I bought a pair of very stylish Rockport walking shoes and wore them exclusively for our two week Italy trip this past June. Look equally good with khakis or dress pants or denim pants, although I didn't wear any jeans in Italy. Not teribbly expensive, around $90 USD. If he still wants to workout after walking miles each days around Italy, he must be quite a stud. I walked off 5 pounds in two weeks, and we ate exceptionally well.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:49 AM
kristen

That's what I was thinking...maybe one pair of nicer black/dark brown walking shoes that can be dressed up/down depending on the pants and one pair of sandals for hotter days where he might be wearing shorts. That way he can wear the walking shoes on the plane and pack the smaller sandals.<BR><BR>I'd bet even nice sandals with linen pants would work well at many restaurants. Right?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Tom

Wearing sandals in Italy is the surest way to end up with sore feet I can think of.<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Jim

I guess I'm lucky.My wife's shoes fit inside mine-One pair space-two pair of shoes!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:08 AM
s.fowler

Depends on the sandals and how much you will be walking. I've had trips where my old eccos were the only thing I wore and a recent trip where we walked so much the only way my feet would have survived was if someone had carried me after the first day!<BR><BR>I usually take I pair lace shoes [easy spirit] and a pair sandals in the summer and in the winter two lace shoes of differing styles [easy sp. and rockport] <BR><BR>I know other people have other preferences -- that's cool. For a guy [like my spousal unit] I would recommend one neat looking good walking shoes -- not thin sole leather, not canvas etc... and a pair of sandals with which to change off on occasion. If that is too much just take a simple pair of flip flops to wear in the hotel.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:11 AM
alex

does he really need sandals in September/october? I vote for one "rockport type" dark colored comfortable yet dressy enough shoes (oxfords better than loafers) and one pair of walking/athletic shoes(again, Rockport makes something like this--basically black sneakers)

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:23 AM
kristen

Another good call...he could even switch between the dressier and teh more athletic shoes for walking around in case his feet "get tired" of one kind of shoe.<BR><BR>I was originally thinking sandals would be good if he wanted ot wear nice shorts during the day, but the athletic shoes would serve the same purpose.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Red

Two pairs of shoes are plenty. You will be walking all day so he definitely won't need to work out so forget the tennis shoes. Pack one dressier pair for night time (usually lighter in weight too), and wear the heavier walking shoe. Forget the sandals, his feet will get too dirty.<BR><BR>My husband wears good quality loafers that he has broken in as his walking shoes - he has a preference for Cole Hahn. He didn't buy special walking shoes. Two pairs are good just to switch off so your feet get a break.<BR><BR>My husband and I never take more than a carry-on and only pack one extra pair of shoes.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:00 PM
suggestion

Buy the sandals there.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:04 PM
RnR

Why not simply pack what he wants to take? He's of majority, I assume, and has earned the right under our god and our laws to pack as he wishes. Let Ron be Ron, we used to say. Liberate your hubby's feet and give him the green light for a dozen pairs, if he will carry them. Now what about underwear - is he taking enough?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Dick Yeager

Jim,<BR><BR>I'm with you! My wife (4'10") wears a size 5 1/2 shoe. Fits nicely in my size 10s.<BR><BR>Her idea and it worked great.<BR><BR>By the way, for my 2 cents, more than 2 pair of shoes for either the husband or wife is a waste of space and time. Once you go, you will understand why.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:17 PM
sheila

Great idea about buying the sandals there!!!!<BR><BR>I bought my husband some "slides" (not sure if guys use that term). They look good with both long and short pants.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Dan

Simple. I put them in my wife's suitcase.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:29 PM
jb

wear one pair on the plane

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Carlos

Sept/early Oct. is not hot at all. Bring a pair of sneakers or a pair of shoes that goes with everything. However, Italy is known for great weather and you can always buy dressy shoes there at grat prices.<BR><BR>Carlos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -