Reload this Page >

Respiratory Problem...Needing Oxygen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Anna L. Gerac

A very dear friend will be traveling to Paris with her husband who is oxygen dependant due to respiratory problems. Does anyone have any advice as to whom she should contact before traveling to get information regarding oxygen tank re-fills?<BR><BR>Thank You.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:57 AM
carol

I don't know, but perhaps either his doc or his usual O2 supplier might have some ideas or referrals to places in paris. or if he has a certain disease, e.g., CF, perhaps online international support groups for that disease might have people who can advise him based on their own experience and contacts.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Rex

I was thinking I had posted something about this before, but maybe I am mistaken. Anyhow, a search on "oxygen" located this pretty readily:<BR><BR>================================== ==<BR><BR>Need Oxygen While Traveling?<BR> <BR> <BR>Author: Donna ([email protected])<BR>Date: 07/26/1999, 01:08 am<BR>Message: Someone inquired about this some time ago. There's a publication by the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) called "The Breathin' Easy Travel Guide" ($19.95 plus $4.65 postage and handling). It includes location and contact information for more than 3,000 suppliers in all 50 states, Canada, Mexico, and overseas. It's updated twice a year. Phone for AARC is 972-406-4663. Web address is: www.oxygen-4travel.com<BR><BR>=============================== =====<BR><BR>I suspect that this will be all you need.<BR><BR>The web cited above lists these two source sin Paris:<BR><BR>AGA Linde Healthcare <BR>Paris, France <BR>Phone: 011-33-14-714-2026 <BR>Fax: 011-33-14-714-0854 <BR>Contact: Natilie Landry or Sophie Zampese <BR><BR> <BR> <BR><BR> Antadir - an Air Products partner <BR>Paris, France <BR>Phone: 011-33-14-441-4900 <BR>Fax: 011-33-14-441-4907 <BR>Post: 66 Boulevard St Michel 75006 Paris <BR>Web Site: www.antadir.com <BR>Email: [email protected] <BR> <BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR> <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:27 AM
nori

At pharmacies in Switzerland you can buy a oxygen product called O-Pur(need to check the exact name). This is a oxygen bottle of half a litter or so with a mouth-piece and cost about 10 euro per can. Some tourists who take moutain-trains/ropeways but afraid of altitude (3000 meters and above) take them. Is your friend's husband in need of such thing?<BR>If so, I can check easily if they have <BR>similar products in France. Please let me know here.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:47 AM
nori

http://www.opuruk.co.uk/<BR>Above is the site for "O-Pur". So this seems to be a UK product, which is sold<BR>at phamacies in Switzerland. Is this what he needs? It's probable they have<BR>similar things is France.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Janice

I don't care what anybody says about Rex - who else would be able to find an earlier thread about this subject? (and would take the time to do it?)<BR>My warmest regards to you, Rex!<BR>Sincerely, Janice

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Rex

Thanks for the kind remarks, Janice. I finally rememberd what that/those other thread(s) were about: nebulizers (nebulisers in Britain), not oxygen.<BR><BR>And I think the real question there was about electric current as much as it was about rental.<BR><BR>Here was one of them<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1348190<BR><BR>The other one was about nebulizers versus inhalers (which were not appropriate for the 18 month old patient being discussed) - - but I never saw that one at the time.<BR>The issue of renting (and electric current) might be relevant to Anna's friend. Few patients require compressed pxygen. Many benefit from an oxygen concentrator which draws in ordinary air and "filters" out some of the (78%) nitrogen, resulting in oxygen-enriched air. No one walking around needs or should receive pure 100% oxygen for any prolonged period. For most people, the nose is an adequate "mixer" with other inspired air.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:11 PM
up

to breathe better<BR>