Reserved tickets for Museums

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reserved tickets for Museums

I'm having difficulty in finding the right sights to pre-reserve tickets for The Uffizi, Vatican, etc. I have found a few but their fees are as much as the tickets. Do any of you have better information. Also, I'm looking for a good tour of Rome just to get started as I'm going to have to teenagers with me and dragging them around is not that easy. I want a walking or private tour (no bus!) One poster mentioned Scala Reale tours. Thanks again
Cinzia
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Do a text search for the "Helpful Information Italy" thread. I'm sure you will find a lot of useful info there, along the way to make the reservations you wish to make.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:22 AM

I, too, would recommend Scala Reale for your tours in Rome.

We reserved tickets for the Uffizi through weekendinflorence.com. However, you can also call them directly, and I don't believe there is a fee.

This site might be helpful: http://www.initaly.com/flrrmlnk.htm
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:24 AM
tcl

We reserved our Uffizi tickets by calling the phone number that's listed in the "Helpful Information Italy" thread. However, the reservation fee per ticket has gone up to 3 euro. But it was definitely worth the 3 euro fee since there was a long wait when we arrived at the Uffizi.

Another tour company to consider is Through Eternity. They have a variety of tours of Rome. We went on the Vatican City tour and really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:50 AM

You can reserve Uffizi and Accademia museums by calling 011 39 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time , at least a day before your visit and ideally at least a few days in advance for a better selection Florence is 6 hours ahead of EST. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes you'll get an entry slot (15-min window) and a six-digit confirmation number. Using the same phone number, you can reserve in advance for the Accademia, Bargello, Medici Chapels, and Pitti Palace; of these, the Accademia has the worst lines. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

As Rick Steve's so eloquently says: after you've booked your reservation, go to the museum at your appointed time. Walk briskly past the 200-yard-long line?pondering the IQ of this gang?at the Uffizi go to the special office for those with reservations (labelled in English ?Entrance for Reservations Only?), give your number, pay (cash only), and scoot right in the entrance doors across the courtyard. At the Academia go to the main entrance to collect your reserved tickets.
In either case, if there are no lines when you get there, you will not have to use your reservation and you will not be charged.

I also heartily recommend Scala Reale for their fantastically informative and interesting walking tours, esp. the Coliseum and the Vatican. Their website is Scalareale.org

Enjoy Rome has a 3.5 hour bicycle tour of Rome for 20 Euros (including the bike) which I think would be great for young people (and maybe you!), take a look at http://www.enjoyrome.com. This Enjoy Rome people offer other tours as well.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your kindness and your invaluable help.
Cinzia
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:46 PM
kr

When are you going, I just got back and Rome was empty. You can walk just about anywhere in rome, anyway I did with my family of 5. No lines anywhere but that changes in the next few weeks.

We stayed right at the Pantheon cant beat the location. Get a good map you do not need a tour. It is really easy to navigate thru the streets. Tours are good for the history lessons get a good book and Id skip the tour, save the money for some good stuff.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:23 PM

I have used the reservation system at both Uffizi and Accademia. Both are great. Over the phone they give you a 15 minute time slot and a five or six didget code that you need to bring with you. You enter through the bus tour entrance. ALthough we had a reservation at the Accademia, it was not busy so we did not use it. We just went through the normal entrance and saved the fee (you pay it on entry thru the tour entrance) We saved about 2 hours on a hot day by using this at the Uffizi. Highly recommend that you make the reservations.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:41 AM
ira

topping
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Try to go to the Uffizi later in the day. I had reservations there last month, the reserved line was chaotic and confusing early in the day. The non-reservation line was at least 3 hours. When I looked later in the day both were much quieter.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM

We were there last July and there weren't many people in either the reservation or non-reservation line at opening time in the early morning. However, I would still advise you to get a reservation.