Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advanced reservations to museums/exhibits?

Sep 26th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone reserved advanced tickets (internet or phone) to Uffizi, Accademia or other museums in Florence before you actually leave in order to avoid the long lines? How about for sights in Rome as well?
Sep 26th, 2003, 01:56 PM

If you want to go to Galleria Borghese in Rome you have to make a reservation. It's very easy to do online. If you're travelling at peak times, reservations are always a good idea.
Sep 26th, 2003, 02:01 PM

It's a good idea to reserve for the Uffizi and Accademia before you go. I've also heard that your hotel may be able to do it for you. If you arrive, and there is no line, you can just use the normal entrance and not have to pay the additinal reservation fee.

This is the info to reserve by phone (from another poster).

The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.
Sep 26th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Try www.tickerteria.it for Rome and http://www.weekendafirenze.com/ for lorence.

Very easy and you're all set before you leave home.
Sep 26th, 2003, 03:34 PM
cpi

I would recommend making reservations at the Uffizi for opening time in the morning(8:30). We were there a few weeks ago and walked in. On the way out a few hours later the crowds were already huge, even for the reservation line. We went to the Accademia later that day(3:00) and there were no lines.
Sep 26th, 2003, 04:19 PM

mckie, my sweet, let me stroke you with some kindness. I always make advance reservations to the Uffizi. It's quite easy no matter which method you choose. Any hotel in Florence will do this for you if you ask. The Uffizi lines are among the worst in Italy. The savvy tourists enter with a reservation.

On the other hand, I've never reserved for dell'Accademia because I know if you go towards the end of the day (4-5 PM) the place is usually empty. I think they are open until 7 or 7:30 PM. If you wish to visit early then plan accordingly.

I always secure reservations for Rome's Borghese Museum but I never go without Elizabeth Lev from ScalaReale.org. She may not be in your budget but WOW, what a treat it is to do the Borghese with her. Now here's one way to REALLY impress the lady.

Most of the other popular museums in Rome don't take reservations. Make sure you know which do and don't.