Reservations for Font-de-Gaume

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please advise me on how best to reserve for Font-de-Gaume cave? I can't seem to even find an official website. I'd prefer to make reservations via email as I don't speak French. We are looking for sometime between June 10-13 so hopefully we aren't already too late. Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM

You might not need one if you are staying close to the area. They leave some slots open for those who come early in the morning. You must be there half an hour before opening to make sure that you will get in. You then make a reservation for an open slot for that day. We came in the morning and took the last tour in the afternoon because that was the tour in English. It turned out that the English speaking guide was not there and I had to do all the translating.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:54 AM

To my knowledge you must call or fax: +33-553068600, Fax: +33-553352618.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM

I ALWAYS have to do all the translating. Except in the height of summer, when they have English-speaking student guides on hand, those English-speaking tours are pretty much nonexistent, despite what they tell you.

Space is limited to 200 people a day, which isn't much in summer. It's true that if you show up early you can often grab a spot, but the more people who find out about these things on places like Fodors, the less likely you'll get in, so I'd call them. There's always someone there who speaks enough English to take a reservation over the phone. You could also contact your hotel and ask them to make a reservation for you. Personally, I would fax, because then they must fax you back and you'll have paper confirmation.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not count on going without a reservation. When I was there a few years ago, people were asking for reservations and were told the next available one was in two weeks.

We had an English tour, but even if you can't get one, it is worth it to go in and see the paintings. It is a very intimate space, and even without the narration, you will get a lot out of being that close to the handiwork of humans who lived nineteen thousand years ago.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM

I reserved at Font du Gaume by e-mail. This was around 2003, so things may have changed:

[email protected]
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM

I called for a reservation for an English-speaking tour for the first week in September 2006. The person who answered spoke English and faxed the confirmation of the reservation.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Hi WayUpNorth,
I used the website http://www.hominides.com/html/lieux/...t-de-gaume.htm. I just made a reservation a couple months ago for August. I sent an email to [email protected] on Jan. 5. They emailed me back two days later saying they would confirm shortly and on January 21 they sent an email with payment info. I emailed them my cc info and they sent me a confirmation and general conditions info paperwork back right away. I will pick up my tickets 30 minutes prior to tour time. All very very easy. If I can be of other help please let me know.
Good luck,
Michele
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Yes, that is the same e-mail address I posted above.

I had the same experience that St. Cirq mentions. We requested the tour in English but when we arrived, we were told that the English tour would not be held at that time. This was in early May; perhaps there are more Foreign-language tours in high season.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM

The OP is going in early June, which is hardly the height of summer.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM

We were in the Dordogne for 4 weeks in Sept '05. The last week we planned to visit Peche Merle (for the 2nd time), and called to reserve 3 weeks ahead. They said that we did not need to reserve for that time of year. So we arrived 20 mins before the first tour after lunch - and the tour was "sold out" to a tour group. We waited around for about 1 hr or so till the next tour. The next tour was full - because others waited too.

lesson - reserve in advance.

Many years earlier, we arrived at about 9 in the morning in late Sept, & caught a tour immediatly.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM

There is also the persistent rumor that the cave is going to be closed forever to the public, which causes crowds at all times of year.

Reserve ahead and get confirmation in writing.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I just want to emphasize that while Stu Dudley did eventually find a tour at Pech Merle without reservations, Pech Merle is a much larger cave than Font de Gaume and many more people are allowed in every day. So as important as it is to reserve at Pech Merle, it is that much more important at Font de Gaume.

I had reservations at Pech Merle but we were going to be late, so I called and they switched us to a later tour. Much more flexible there than at Font de Gaume.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Good point, Nikki

Next time we visit Pech Merle - I'm making a reservation, no matter what they tell me about not needing one. I didn't like waiting an hour for the next tour to begin - only to find that tour packed also.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Last time I was at Peche-Merle was in March, and they had no English tours and only two tours a day, one at 10;45 am and one at 2:45 pm. So check their schedules (which I'm sure change depending on the season).
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Update: I wrote to the email address on Easter Sunday and was pleasantly surprised to receive an email booking from them this morning. I have to provide credit card information 15 days before the visit by email or phoning. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:59 AM

They sure don't make it easy! The National Monuments web site has an email link (same as in the earlier posts) but no online reservation tool. I sent an email asking for information; hoping for an informative reply. Expect that reservations still involve exchange of faxes. Honestly surprised that so much business in Europe (or at least France) still seems to be conducted via fax.
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Update: Got a reply to my email within 10 minutes. A completed reservation form including payment instructions was attached. Yes, I need to fax it back with my card info, but otherwise I can't complain. Turned out to be easier than I thought!

Two things that might have helped: (1) I sent my email in French, so it didn't have to wait to be read by whomever in that office speaks English; and (2) I provided an entire week of available dates.

Give it a try!
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM

I got my reply and made my booking on email also- but forgot to tell my bank and they rejected it! All straight now...