Reload this Page >

RER Train Gare du Nord to Charles De Gaul CDG - help please

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I need really specific instructions for taking the RER train from Gare du Nord to Roissy Charles de Gaul Airport. I don't speak any french so I would really like to know what I'm doing when I arrive at Gare du Nord. How do I buy a train ticket? Do they have ticket machines with english as an option? Will it be easy to find the "B" line and easy to get on the train going the right direction? I am going to American Airlines at terminal 2. Is it the last stop on the train? You cannot be too basic in your response! Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Don't worry - this will be pretty easy. Take your time and look for the signs (and don't get pickpocketed!) The RER line goes direct from Gare du Nord. I believe you should look for blue lettered signs directing you to RER line B. Look for signs directing you to Roissy (the signs won't always say Charles de Gaulle.) I've always bought tickets at a window. I think the machines have an English option, but I'm pretty sure you will need cash (Euros) to purchase tickets with the machine. If the line isn't too long, you should just go to a window. It really helps if you have your destination written down. Just write on a piece of paper "Un billet pour l'aeroport Charles de Gaulle, s'il vous plait." Use your s'il vous plaits and merci monsieur/madames a lot! Not sure if it's the last stop. Oh, and I find that you often see lots of people with suitcases on the train to the airport, so that will help to reassure you. My husband says the hardest part is once you get off the RER. You have to figure out where you are and how to get to terminal. You don't have to leave a building, but you have to be patient and ask for help if you're feeling lost. The hotels at the airport are a good place to get help because they all have staff that speak english. Good luck!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 12:48 PM
ira

Hi John,

There is a good map of CDG at
http://adp.fr/webadp/[email protected]
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:04 PM

CDG is the termination of the RER B3 and there are stops at Terminals 1 and 2. (If you accidentally hop off at the wrong one, there is a free ADP shuttle that will get you to where you need to go.) The tickets were 7.70 Euros one way the last time I took it. Be sure to retain your ticket because you need it for the exit gate.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Unfortunately, it isn't quite foolproof because you have to make sure you get on the right train. There are two diff. RER B lines that leave from Gare du Nord and one goes to Mitry-Claye while the other goes to CDG. YOu have to be sure you get on line B3 (not B5). I haven't taken the RER from there so am not sure how these are designated, but probably there will be an overhead electronic sign above the quay that gives the name of the train and its destinations when a train arrives. Be sure to check that as both could leave from the same quay. Also, there are several places with "Roissy" in the name and so that won't be enough to know. Another RER leaves from there to Roissy-en-Brie, for example (but a diff. line). I think that RER will be marked "Aeroport Charles de Gaulle" rather than Roissy, although that train is also referred to as "Roissy Rail" so that might be on signs. The train goes to both terminal 1 and 2, so at least that's not a problem. Terminal 2 is the last stop and should also be marked TGV.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their helpful information. I feel more confident that I'm not going to get lost on the way to the airport!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:20 AM
jay

i was just there. i taught my sister and brother in law to travel by themselves. they had no problems. there are electronic signs on the platform that tell you which stops the train will make. there are express trains and locals etc. the signs are very easy to read.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:43 AM

The advice you've been given is pretty much spot on. I used to take that RER train to work every day.
There are two types of RER train going to Roissy airport - an express train which is direct, and a slower train that stops at all stations. The airport is indicated on signs as Aéroport Ch de Gaulle 1 or 2, or as CDG 1 or 2.

Give yourself time to navigate through the Gare du Nord as it is a large and confusing station, especially the RER section. Also, make sure you are on the right side of the platform for the RER B, as the line D leaves from other side.

I agree that you should buy your ticket from a window. The machines are confusing and I don't remember them having an English option.