Notices

RER to CDG -- Paris

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Neopolitan

RER to CDG -- Paris

OK, yet another transportation to CDG question:

Since we will only be a couple of blocks from St. Michel (right by St. Severin), we could easily take the metro and RER to the airport (CDG). Our flight isn't until almost noon so we aren't fighting a time restriction.

I'm assuming we'd take the metro to Chatelet and then the RER from there, How are the connections. Is switching from Metro to RER at Chatelet a big deal with lots of stairs and distance? I think I've done that there and it was a pretty major distance, but didn't have luggage.

Or does the RER to CDG stop at Notre Dame? And if so, is there a station we enter on the left bank? It appears so on the map, but I'm drawing a blank about that.

Secondly where does the RER come into CDG in respect to where we get American Airlines?

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Neopolitan

Duh, What was I thinking? I finally woke up and realized that the St. Michel and Notre Dame stations are basically one and the same-- no wonder I couldn't picture a left bank Notre Dame station entrance. So I guess my question is, does the RER you get at St. Michel continue to CDG or do you need to change at Chatelet? On the map, the routes change numbers there, but not sure if the same train goes through.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RER B goes right smack through the middle of Paris on its north-south axis, and St-Michel - Notre-Dame is one stop. If you get on there, you won't change all the way to CDG. See map:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...f=rer_b&fm=pdf
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM

I believe American Airlines uses Terminal 2. (You can check www.adp.fr, the Aeroports de Paris site, to be sure.) If I'm right, you would stay on the RER past CDG 1 and get off at CDG 2 TGV.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Neopolitan

Thanks for what seem like simple answers. When I went to the RATP site and looked at the overall RER map, it shows an RER route B route through St. Michel to Chatelet, but what appears as a sort of jog and then an RER D Route to CDG -- or at least that's how it appears. That's why I feared there might be a change at Chatelet. Nice to know there isn't.

Obviously I'm much more used to walking in Paris than I am to taking the RER.

I'm also thinking I remember an elevator at the St. Michel station -- I'm kind of hoping so, but not a biggie if there isn't.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:02 AM

If you checked Robespierre's map, you saw that the RER B line divides before reaching CDG. Be sure you get on the right train at St-Michel Notre-Dame. The sign boards at the station will show the stops each approaching train will make.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Yes, RER B is the line you want, indicated by blue on the maps. Make sure it is the train for CDG, not Mitry. The message boards on the platforms are easy to figure out. One word of caution, the turnstyles to the RER stations are just like the metro ones, so large suitcases are a problem. You may have to ask for hel pfrom the attendant, also, if it is rush hour, the train may be full. So RER is a poor choice during rush hour.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Travel time on the RER B from Saint Michel-Notre Dame to CDG2 is between 30 and 40 minutes. There are a number of non-stop trains for the part between Gare du Nord and CDG -- if you take a look at the schedule list that is in every station, you can find out exactly what time to take the RER instead of hoping to be lucky.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:34 AM

There are trains that stop more than other ones, but they all get where they're going in the same sequence they leave. So there's no particular advantage to waiting for a later train.

Each engine has a nameplate on the front. The trains on the CDG branch begin with the letter E, such as ENZO and EVEN. The whole timetable is here:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_hora...g&loc=horaires
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Neopolitan

I think I'm all set on that one.
Now to think about getting from Orly to St. Michel via RER. My question here seems to involve where to get the right RER from where Easy Jet will come in to Orly. We went to Orly by RER quite a few years ago and had to take a bus part way, but I believe those lines are extended.
Since then we've always taken a taxi from there, but hey, now that I'm being frugal. . .

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Your fastest route from Orly to St-Michel would be to take the Orlyval driverless shuttle train from Orly to the Antony RER station and the RER B from there. Or you could take the Orlybus to the Denfert Rochereau station and the RER B from there. (Bus is a little cheaper than the Orlyval, but the trip is slower.) Or you could take the free Aeroports de Paris shuttle bus to the Pont de Rungis-Aeroport d'Orly RER station and take the RER C from there (a more roundabout route).
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Neopolitan

Thanks, Tim. I guess it was that last option I was looking at, but didn't realize it involved taking a bus from the airport to get to the station. I wasn't sure exactly where "Rungis-Orly" was. Once we're talking waiting for a bus and transferring to a train, or getting to one train and transferring to another, I think for the two of us, I'm back to a taxi for that one -- about 20 euro last time we did it.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:06 PM

For the terminally frugal who may be lurking: if you have a 2-zone RATP pass, you can buy a single ticket from Pont de Rungis (Z4) to Ivry-sur-Seine (Z2) for 2€.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:14 PM

[Missing paragraph:]

That will get you from Orly to central Paris via the RER C for 2€. The shuttle (navette between the airport and Pont de Rungis runs about every 20 minutes. The ride takes 10.

This is an particularly expeditious route if you're headed for the Marais: it's a 25-minute ride to Gare d'Austerlitz.