Reload this Page >

Requesting advice on our itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Dee

I'm beginning to panic. My boyfriend and I leave for Europe in 3 weeks. I didn't have as much time as I would've liked for planning the trip. I am second guessing my itinerary. I would sincerely apprciate advice from all you seasoned travelers.<BR><BR>- Prague 3 nights<BR>- overnight train to Munich<BR>- Munich 1 night (this is required- will be getting a car)<BR>- Drive "romantic road" to Fussen. On to Innsbruck<BR>- Overnight Innsbruck<BR>- Drive to Venice, stay 2 nights (What do I do with my car while in Venice?)<BR>- Drive to Chianti region, stay 2 nights<BR>- Drive to Cinque Terre, stay 1 night<BR>- Drive to Milan (Only going for fotball, Milan v. Munich) Not planning on staying overnight in Milan. Drive to Itilian Lakes, stay 2 nights (? Como or Maggiore)<BR>- Drive to Bernese Oberland, stay 4 nights<BR>- Drive to Zurich to fly home<BR><BR>I have several questions, but I am primarily concerned about my plans in Switzerland. I was hoping to hike between the small towns ( route per Rick Steve), but am fearful that October 25-28 is far to late in the season for my visions of hiking over the peak of the Alps into the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Please help!!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:54 PM
xxx

Don't quite know where you'll be when you write "Berner Oberland", small towns and hiking to the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Can only suggest: <BR><BR>- late October is still OK for hiking, but probably best if you're not THAT high - stay around 1'200 - 2'500 meters altitude. Plus you'll have more Fall color, from anything that's left;<BR><BR>- telecabine/chairlift/gondola services may already be closed for the low season (before winter starts), but check ahead of time. <BR><BR>- great areas (from experience) for hiking are: all around Adelboden; all around the area from Chateau d'Oex/Rougement to Saanen, Gstaad, Sch&ouml;nried and Saanenmoser; Grindelwald area; Meiringen area (meaning Hasliberg and Axalp); and Kleine Scheidegg-Wengen route, uphill if you're fit, downhill if not.<BR><BR>- of the 4 days, you may have to count one or two as "bad weather" - so have some other plans up your sleeve. For this reason I tend to be near villages with some infrastructure. Or, perhaps you love hiking in overcast and rainy conditions... <BR><BR>- use website www.myswitzerland.com for more details and further contacts ref. tourist offices, hotels, hiking ideas, etc.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Jan

Dee,<BR>You are going to be busy and miss a lot. That said, I don't know your style of travel. Here are my comments for what they are worth !;-)<BR>Prague -Great<BR>I enjoyed the Romantic Road, but feel that to do it all in one day is tough...doable, but tough...so many cute, medieval towns + The castles of Neueschwanstein, Lindenhof etc. <BR>Chianti area - beautiful and so much to do! Only 2 nights in this area??<BR><BR>Good idea on the Berner Oberland and you have received excellent advice on previous posting.<BR><BR>OK...IF it was my trip, I would concentrate on one area. For example, Prague, Munich, Germany and add Salzburg and assorted small towns in between. OR Keep the Prague portion (as I assume you are flying into) and get to Italy quickly, and then explore Northern Italy, down to Tuscany and then, wind your way up to Zurich slowly via the lakes region and either the Berner Oberland or the Engadine.<BR><BR>Europe is not going anywhere and you can come back! But please rest assured, that whatever you decide to do, you will have a tremendous trip and anything you miss...well...you can come back!<BR>Cheers and sorry for a somewhat incoherent message!<BR>Jan

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:38 AM
xxx

Topping for Dee!

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:34 PM
xxx

Topping for Dee again. She seems to keep losing this one . . . . . .