Renting Car in Ireland ultimate cost ?

Dec 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Renting Car in Ireland ultimate cost ?

This is my first time posting and I have read through a few threads but am not really finding what I want ...

My questions is about renting a car in Ireland. I got a quote from Budget Car Rental and we are getting a quote of E113 I believe for the 4 days we need it? When I get to the payment details it says the following is included: Price includes all compulsory Insurances, Government Tax, Unlimited Mileage and 24hr Breakdown cover.
A standard airport surcharge of Euro € 28 will be added to the cost when you pick up your car from Dublin Airport.

Is this price pretty accurate? I have never rented a car before even in the US. It seems extremely reasonable - I just don't want to be surprised with add on fees, etc. So, wondering if I will be. Any input on renting cars in Ireland, what to expect, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Dec 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM

You need to ask specifically what type of insurance will be provided. Often this is very basic and does not cover things that you would want to be insured. Unfortunately Ireland is one of the countries in which american credit cards don't provide free insurance coverage.
Dec 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM

"all compulsory insurance" is not full coverage. I suggest digging a little deeper into the budget website. My experience when rented a car in Ireland is to expect the insurance you'll need/want to be equal to or greater than the advertised rental rate.
Dec 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM

I'm going to refer you to Trip Advisor. Go the the Ireland Forum and look at the right hand side of the screen. There is a list of "Top Questions about Ireland" and one of them is entitled: "Car Rental and Super CDW". This should give you an overview of the topic with links to threads with lots of the info you want to know about renting a car in Ireland and the insurance you need. Car insurance is a big topic because you really must have top coverage in Ireland.
We went to Ireland in April and, unfortunately, I do not recall what we paid for our 8 days of car rental with Hertz. But I do know that at the time you could get CDW coverage at no extra charge with your credit card IF and only IF you had a World Mastercard. We did and we had no problem with the Hertz people about insurance. (But again, it is a tricky deal because you have to have the proper papers from Mastercard.) Good luck!
Dec 23rd, 2009, 04:08 AM

Don't forget tire insurance. If you don't know what that is, then you've probably never driven Ireland before. I hadn't heard of it either until I first drove there then I learned why it is offered. The odds of being run off the those, horrible, narrow, rock-lined roads by a passing car at least a few times is 100%.

It's funny that everyone assumes that driving on the left is big deal. It isn't really. But driving on two way roads that are 1.5 car-width wide is.
Jan 6th, 2010, 12:58 PM

GET THE MOST COVERAGE YOU CAN! Learning to drive on the opposite side (if you've never done it) is so much tricker than you expect it to be! we paid alot to have total full coverage and thank the lord we paid - because we DID have an accident and everything was covered. Now, after we HAD that accident (on our 2nd day) the company we rented from would NOT rent to us unless we paid an additional 2,500 us dollars and if we had ONE SCRATCH on the car - they kept the money - we decided NOT to go with them and had someone we met in ireland help us get a car at the airport --

Best suggestion --do NOT get a large car - get the smallest car you can and ONLY take one suitcase per person -- learned a hard lesson - will never ever go to ireland with more than one suitcase again!
Jan 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Irishgal - So how much did you pay with the total coverage then? We are just trying to figure out a budget and all and we are stuck with this car rental business because neither of us has ever rented. I am looking into the credit card that was suggested as well if full coverage is included with that I may just apply for that card and maybe that would cut costs?

We planned on getting a tiny little economy car - and no worries, we are both only taking a backpack - traveling light!
Jan 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM

"Unfortunately Ireland is one of the countries in which American credit cards don't provide free insurance coverage."

World Master Card does provide coverage in Ireland and there have been many, many threads here on this subject.
Jan 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM

My apologies, longhorn. I see you mentioned World MC.

We had no problem using our World MC for coverage when we rented from Dooley this past June. Though we took the info from MC stating that they provide coverage, we weren't asked for it.

However, Dooley (and other companies) do warn you that they will put a hold on your cc if you waive the CDW and use the World MC insurance.
Jan 11th, 2010, 03:29 AM

Asked my sister in law -- she thinks it was about $300 - but worth it - as we had a 'small..lol' accident -- so glad we had it..

I'm not sure how the world MC works -- go for the clown car -- lol tiny one - saw tons of those

When we rented (from dooley by the way) - they lumped the increase on the car with full coverage and our every day breakfast together - but car was about $300 - but saved us in the long run