Renting boats for day trips Amalfi Coast

Old Jun 1st, 2017, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Renting boats for day trips Amalfi Coast

Hello friendly Fordorers

We're staying in Nerano in June and want to take a boat trip to Capri at some point for the day, and also look into being taken up to Amalfi by boat (possibly coming back via bus). I'm making a random assumption based on nothing that it will be cheaper if we just wander down to the beach/port and negotiate with a local with a boat - or should we play it safe and book in advance? We'll be 4 adults and 2 children
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 12:33 PM
ekc

I doubt it would be cheaper and in June I would want to book in advance. Nerano to Amalfi is a LONG boat ride and I would want to be sure there is a large enough boat available to handle the trip.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 09:43 AM

My first question would be what experience you have in small boats on the sea?

As you say, you are making assumptions based on nothing. I prefer not to do that, so first I would want to know if any of you are prone to seasickness or even know if you are/are not? Then, are you familiar with small boats as opposed to larger more stable boats?

I might be happy to go down to a harbour and find a boat to charter for a day but I am an experienced sailor. Would you even know how to tell if the boat appeared seaworthy?
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 11:09 AM

I took the OP to mean he/she wanted to hire a boat AND someone to drive it ("and also look into **being taken up** to Amalfi by boat"), not pilot the boat themselves.

We rented a house in Positano and used a recommendation from the owner to hire a boat and driver for the day. Ask at your hotel. Ours was one of those large rubber ones that worked just fine -- held 6 people. Sorry, don't remember what we paid.

At least in Positano, it wasn't a matter of negotiating with a local owner. There are companies there on the beach that are licensed to lease out boats. They have to meet certain standards. Maybe you could find a local to transport you. I dunno. But it doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

The boats are stationed right on the beach.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks for responses, especially in the face of my ignorance!

I'll look into booking a boat at least to get to Capri and look at other options for the trip to Amalfi - cheers everyone