Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renting a storage unit in England before moving there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving this next week for Southampton UK to try and find an apartment for my daughter who will be getting her master's degree over there in the next year. She would like to bring some suitcases that are full for her future apartment and get a storage unit to put them in till September.She has emailed several storage facilities in Southampton but no one has ever replied.
We started wondering tonight if there would be a problem getting a storage unit till September because we are not from the UK. Reason being-The UK changed their whole visa program in March for students(major fingerprinting,pages of info,etc.) and the whole security issue seems to be very strong.
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether there would be a problem? Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM

You've probably got two problems.

1. They're probably not set up to take bookings online. Partly because:
2. In my experience, they need two pieces of ID: something like a passport or driving licence that identifies who the renter is, but also (and here's your problem) something that proves where in the UK the renter lives. Usually that's a recent BRITISH utility bill. No bill, no deal is the usual policy

There's an obvious security risk in letting a stranger walk in off the street and put uncontrolled stuff into a huge locker. I suspect the only way you're going to find how seriously the facilities take the risk is to phone them directly.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Or:

just book online at http://www.southampton.storageking.co.uk/pricing
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

We just sent them an email so we will see. Thanks Flanneruk for your help!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be much easier if she could manage with just the luggage she brings with her on the plane. Why does she need so much stuff? We came to live in the UK with one suitcase each (mind you, it nearly killed me weeding out what to take) but it was worth it. The shops here are great, she can have fun buying anything she really needs. It could be a burden having so much stuff to cart from one place to another and then ship home again. We've found you need a lot less than you think.

Kay
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 12:59 AM

Photo ID and contact details are certainly required for fairly obvious reasons, but I'm not sure there is a mandatory requirement for it to be a UK address. A work colleague of mine put a large amount of stuff into storage while working overseas for 6 months, so it may be possible to make some sort of arrangement in your case. I'd also suggest phoning them if you don't get an email response.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM

The landlord who agrees to rent you a flat will almost certainly have been asked before to store possessions over the summer.It is very common indeed for students to travel hundreds of miles to college and to have stuff that they don't need at home during the holidays but will need when they return next term. A sensible landlord will do his best to help-even by offering to store in his own home if he lives in the same town.
Ask the question before you rent. After you rent then you have an address in the U.K. and you can ask for confirmation of this from the landlord.
Remember that rents for the next term have fallen because students on the whole look for accomodation for September at any time after the preceeding Christmas. The economy was worse then and rents were driven down. A landlord who hasn't yet let will be keen not to lose you so make it clear how important it is that you have somewhere to leave your stuff.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Somebody at the University might be able to advise, either the students union or the overseas students office.

Storage units are not cheap, maybe cheaper outside London. Consider the cost of storing something for 2-3 months and then consider how much it would cost to buy new or do without. Another consideration is she is bringing all this stuff without knowing how large the accommodation is that she will eventually rent. She may end up leaving it in the storage unit for her whole stay.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:15 AM

This is the sort of company you are looking for, one that offers smaller units not one geared up to storing house contents. They have a base in Southampton. I am sure there are other companies too because it is a port, a university town and a departure point for the many military personnel in the area. They do specifically mention student and archival storage on the Southampton pages.

http://www.safestore.co.uk/
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why not ship the things to her after she is in Southampton? Would eliminate the need for a storage space.

If you are talking a lot and heavy, would she even be able to bring the stuff w/ her w/o massive overweight charges?
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Reasons for getting a storage facility.
When my son went to college in Canada, we could not send him anything unless we paid duty on it-they wanted $79 CAD for his (already worn)suit that I sent to him so am assuming that the UK will be exactly the same way.

Daughter is not an undergrad so is not living in "student housing" but rather in an apartment that would be furnished near the Oceanography Centre. She has numerous things to take such as her scuba and snorkeling gear/wet suit;foul weather gear for research vessel,etc. that are bulky and heavy.

Even though Ikea is in town, she still wants to take some things that make it her place from the states-nothing big but still changes of clothes for the various seasons,etc.The British pound is rising everyday against the dollar.

Because Southampton is a big university town and when she returns in September it will be hosting the big boat show, she wants to get a bike and things for the apartment before the hordes of students descend on the school.

I will have her check on the above suggestions-thanks!
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No, you don't need to pay duty. The packages should be clearly labeled "Used clothing", "Used household items for personal use" etc.

There is no duty for sending your own things to yourself . . . . .