Renting a car in Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had experience renting a car from an outfit doing business as Portugal-Auto-Rentals.com? They're offering a very good rate on a five day rental - perhaps too good of rate, 94 Euro compared to 177 elsewhere.

Any special tips about driving in Portugal?
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM

It looks good, but is there a deductible?

As for driving in Portugal, you will discover a traffic light at the entrance of many villages and towns. The light will not necessarily be at an intersection or a crosswalk. It is there to control speed. If you approach it at more than 50 kmh, the light will turn red. If you are within the speed limit, it will stay green. The only wild driver I encountered in Portugal was the taxi driver from downtown Lisbon to the airport.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:09 AM

I always use Avis.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:59 AM

At least Portugal is one country where your credit card coverage for cars is accepted. That will save you some cost.

Just make sure you check the rental agreement carefully and understand the terms of the rental.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 08:11 AM

If the CDW is included in the rental, the credit card will not cover it. That is why I asked about a deductible. If one is worried about a potential accident and the cost of a deductible, taking a rental that does not allow declining the CDW is not the way to go, even if it is the cheapest.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 09:24 AM

My recomendation is "Defensive Driving".
Stay on the left lane.
Portuguese, like any other latin (I found this happens in Spain and Italy) like eye contact, they also like to argue, sometimes they're a little agressive, but I think it happens mostly in big towns like Lisbon or Porto. In highways, countryside and out of Lisbon it's normal.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Portugal-Auto-Rentals.com shows in quote who the renter is. Big companies like Avis, Sixt, etc tend to have higher quotes then smaller companies. Of course you can get basic (no CDW in which case CC will cover) quote from AutoEurope.com but I doubt that it'll beat 94 euros. Surcharge to cover deductible varies from company to company (my guess it's in 10-12 euro per day ballpark)
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM

<i>my guess it's in 10-12 euro per day ballpark</i>

Which would make the total rental cost at least 144€, and since we do not know what the 177€ represents (basic or inclusive), it is difficult to evaluate the advantage of Portugal-Auto-Rentals.com.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM

You know a litle while ago Pousadas.pt was offering a car and pousada deal (5 days I believe) for about 600E or a little more for under 55s. You might try that because the pousada hotels are outstanding. Driving is a snap, the roads are good and you can get off the beaten track. Look out for the timing for crossing April 25th Bridge.. Terrible traffic and DO NOT even try to drive in Lisbon..Go to your hotel,p.ark and use the Hop On Hop Off. This will save much stress!!!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM

We always rent from AutoEurope, a broker, and have had cars from Avis and EuropCar in Spain and Auto Jardim in Portugal. AutoEurope will give you the very best price. You can choose to pay extra for CDW, theft and/or personal accidents.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM

"Stay on the left lane."
Serbap, I don't want to argue with you, but I think this is a mistake, since the left lane is the fast lane.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:40 PM

"AutoEurope will give you the very best price."

Actually lately prices from Auto Europe (especially from the US site) are not the best at all. But their reputation is very good. UK & European Auto Europe sites are usually cheaper. To illustrate my point here is quote for Cat C car rental ((Volkswagen Polo or similar) at Lisbon airport (Jul 2-9). Inclusive rental includes CDW (with deductable excess)

AutoEurope US: 338.84 USD Basic, 381.21 USD Inclusive
AutoEurope UK: 202.71 GBP Inclusive or 322 USD
AutoEurope Portugal: 294 euros for full insurance coverage (no deductable, theft & tire damage) - 386 USD
PortugalAutoRentals - 247 Euros Inclusive or 325 USD
Auto Jardim - 225 Euros Inclusive or 310 USD
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM

hkto,

There is still some confusion. The one rental that has no deductible (at least as I read your post) is higher than AutoEurope US inclusive, which may have a deductible. For a U.S. resident, the basic rate is then preferable because the Visa card can carry the insurance with no deductible. So for $28 more than the lowest rate, I would have CDW coverage with no deductible.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 05:40 PM

That's how they quote; some variables are always there. Rate from Auto Europe Portugal carries no risk (excess CDW, tires, glass are covered). This rate is $5 higher then inclusive rate from Auto Europe US that carries some risk (excess CDW, tires, glass are not covered). Basic rate is good for people with CC CDW coverage which will cover collision repair in case of accident but not tire or glass or vandalism damage (at least my card wouldn't).

All I am trying to show that prices are all over the place.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

I'm pleased to report that the PAR agency did fine. Total cost was about $250USD, including a vehicle upgrade, a full tank of gasoline (around $8 a gallon in Portugal last week!) and insurance up to 1400 euro, if I recall. Five days, pickup at Porto's Campagnha train station, drop off at Lisbon airport. I'd use them again. Thanks all, for your advice and replies.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM

I just rented from Hertz in Portugal, with my AAA discount it was less expensive than all others (and I usually use AutoEurope or similar in Europe). I agree that credit card "no deductible" is nice, but if a no-deductible deal is available at a decent rate straight from the rental company, it could result in less hassles if you do have a dent. As for driving in Portugal, it's easy but once you're off the main roads, a GPS will prove VERY helpful. We didn't have one and we'd get "this close" to our destination and eventually have to ask directions. Not terrible, just a waste of time and a bit of frustration. Portuguese drivers are pretty bad, but you quickly figure out their bad habits (they ARE consistent) and drive accordingly.