renting a car in Knock and dropping off elsewhere

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone familiar with an 'open jawed' rental arrangement similar to the airlines? I would like to rent a car in Knock in the west of Ireland and return it at some other point [say Shannon] rather than trekking backwards. We plan on taking a train to Dublin for our return flight. Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM

This varies depending on which car hire company you use, we have done it in Europe but it can be expensive.

It's been a couple of years since I was at Knock airport, but as it's a very tiny airport your choice may be limited.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM

The only time I have ever been charged anything extra for a drop-off different from the pick-up has been when the drop-off was in a different country.

It's perfectly routine to pick up a car in one location in a country and drop it off in another, and you should not pay extra for it.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think only once ever have I dropped my car back at the same place I picked it up.

Most companies don't have drop off fees - but some do so be thorough when you research the different agencies.

But you might have to collect your car elsewhere to have a full choice of rental agencies.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:17 AM

I haven't been to Knock Airport but have visited Knock & Knock Shrine. I seriouly doubt that many of the large car rental companies maintain locations at either, except perhaps near the Anniversary dates of the Marian Apparitions (sorry, I didn't know how to include St. John)

Knock Shrine is huge but the village is pretty small, situated in the East of County Mayo, almost at the Roscommon border.

Contact Dan Dooley! You'll have to do so by phone or e-mail so you can have a dialogue with a Manager there
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM

<<<I seriouly doubt that many of the large car rental companies maintain locations>>>

Knock airport being in the middle of nowhere, more people choose to hire cars from there as from other similarly sized airports, as I recall there are at least three or four rental companies at the airport.

Out of curiosity, I've just checked a Europcar price for hire to and from Knock, compared it to dropping it elsewhere, they charged a premium of £40 for the hire period that I chose.