Hertz gas surcharges

Search

Hertz gas surcharges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hertz gas surcharges

So, my husband and I returned our Hertz rental to the airport after filling up the tank less than 10 miles from the airport (we were getting 30 mpg). We were in a hurry and trying to make sure we got everything out of the car and didn't interact too much with the agent that handled the return. Well, when we got home, we realized that they had put a $13 charge on our bill for having a tank that was 7/8 full! The agent didn't say a word to us about this, just added the charge. There is no way we were even a gallon short, much less 7/8 of a tank! So, I called Hertz and asked that the charge be removed. I expected a battle, but the woman just said, "Okay, we'll remove the charge." Now, I appreciate the lack of hassle, but it got us to thinking...if they are so willing to just remove the charge no questions asked, is it because they just put that charge on everyone's account, hoping that most people will not notice it and they'll make a little extra $$? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I hope it was just an isolated incident, but let it remind you to check and double check your receipt after returning your car to make sure there are no "hidden" charges!

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Do you truly think that a company like Hertz is going to add a surcharge like that to everyone's car rental?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm not saying they put it on EVERY single account, but perhaps it's one of those, "Add it on if you can get away with it" sort of charges. Because in our case, there was absolutely no reason for him to add it...the tank read full and WAS full. He just added it and thankfully we caught it.

Maybe it's just a one-time incident, but we should all spend some time looking over our receipts in the future to make sure it doesn't happen!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:38 AM

I know that with my own car, a Ford, when you turn it on, and there's a full tank, it reads about 7/8 initially, then slowly moves up past the Full making. Maybe they similarly did a quick check and (rightfully) gave you the benefit of the doubt when you questioned it. I doubt there was anything sinister on their part. I always leave the car running and have them check the gauge when I return a car, no matter the company.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:02 AM

My husband rented a car from Hertz at Washington Dulles, and filled it up just a few miles from the airport. They charged him for a FULL TANK of gas, which was about $94! He had kept his reciept for the gas, and called Hertz, and the charge was removed. Coincidence?