Rental car pickup advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advice/suggestions regarding picking up a rental car. In May, I will be leaving Sorrento and making my way up to Tuscany, Greve to be exact. My wife and I enjoy train travel (we only travel with a backpack, it makes train life a lot easier) and would like to train as far North as possible before picking the car for a week in Tuscany.<BR><BR>We can probably pick up the car in Sienna or somewhere there about, but the problem is, we will be leaving Sorrento on a Saturday. Some of the car rental pickup places close at noon on Saturday. I suppose I could pick up the car in Florence, but I was hoping to pick up the car without having to drive thru the city.<BR><BR>I'm open to suggestions on how I can pick up the car with the least aggravation.<BR><BR>Thanks for any input.<BR><BR>Mark
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 09:47 AM
rex

Orvieto comes immediately to mind, even without checking the train schedules. Surely you can get there by noon.<BR><BR>Arezzo might be an alternative.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:12 AM

Mark, I see 2 choices and it depends on how long you will have the car in Tuscany. Car rentals are often in 3,5 or 7 day segments on pricing. Check with Autoeurope for details, but it may be best to pick up in Sorrento and drive all the way. Why mess with 3 different train connections--to Naples, Naples to Rome, Rome to Chiusi.<BR>Plus, 3 train fares for 2 people. And, you can stop in Orvieto for lunch--always a great idea. I wouldd drive.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Bob, you make a good point. By the time I jump trains and pay the train fares, I might as well pick up the car in Sorrento. I'll check with Auto Europe and see what they say.<BR><BR>Thanks
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:52 PM

It is not at all difficult driving &quot;out&quot; of Sorrento. You will enjoy driving in Italy. It is very very easy (as long as you don't try to negotiate Florence or Rome!) <BR>