Rental Car in Croatia - where to pick up

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Ljubljana and had hoped to rent a car there and drive into Croatia. This has turned out to be cost prohibitive. Now, considering bus or train to either Zagreb or Rijeka and picking the car up there. We'd like to leave the car in Dubrovnik. Any ideas on which city and means of transportation would allow us to easily get a car? Also, what companies rent in Croatia (I've seen AutoEurope). thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:03 PM

I rented a car in Zagreb in May 2004 but it was through Kemwell and I dont' remember the agency they set me up with. From there we headed west and dropped off the car about a week later in Split. From Split to Dubrovnik you really don't need a car, IMHO.

I don't know your itinerary but once we dropped off the car we ferried over to Hvar for a few days. We then ferried to Dubrovnik. You really don't need a car in Dubrovnik. There is only foot traffic within the walls.

Enjoy! Croatia is fantastic!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi eurotraveller,

I've really enjoyed your trip report on Croatia! We are going from Split- Hvar then Dubrovnik. Can you tell me more about the ferry from Hvar to Dub? (time, etc). I've read alot about the ferries not being comfortable. thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:59 AM

If I remember correctly, it took about 7 hours from Hvar to Croatia. I didn't find it uncomfortable at all. The ferries are very large with many different types of seating arrangements. There are benches at some tables so we were even able to stretch out and take a nap. There is also seating outside where you can enjoy the views of all the islands that you pass by on the way to Dubrovnik. There are a few snack bars as well. The one outside seemed to open and close at a whim. We bought some yogurt, fruit, wine and cheese in Hvar and had a nice picnic on board. The cheese in Croatia is delicious! The wine on Hvar is great as well. Try to make it over to the Zlatan Plavic winery near Zavala beach. I bought two bottle to take home and share with friends.

Keep in mind that the ferry does not drop you off in the walled part of the city. You arrive on the other side of town. We took the city bus in and I think it was less than a dollar (we would rather spend the $15 cab ride on something else))

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have more feel free to ask!

Cheers!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:16 AM

Just a little bit of advice. I rented a car in Split and immediately had an accident. As I had checked all the insurance data, I had no concerns. WRONG.
The guy I hit said we had two choices. Negotiate or call the police. I called the police, had my passport taken, waited six hours for the judge and was fined $200. The judge said I was wrong. The moral is this. Everything, everything and everything in Easteern Europe is negotiable. Just a word to the wise. Good Luck, Hans
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:56 AM

We encountered the same problem in Sept. We took the train from Ljubljana to Zagreb and rented a car there.There are several trains per day, some direct and others which make several stops. We took a direct which took about 2-1/2 hours as I recall.

We usually rent through Autoeurope but in this case we actually got a better rate and better insurance coverage ($0 deductible) dealing directly with National Car Rental. We dropped the call in Dubrovnik but I'm sure you could do so in Split.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

Actually, we dropped the "car" in Dubrovnik.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice and good ideas.