Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia Advice - Hvar or Korcula, car or no car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be flying into Dubrovnik in July which will be our first time to Croatia and plan to stay there, then head to Mostar for a night and then on to the Dalmatian Islands. We will have 3 nights on the islands and we're trying to decide if we do all 3 in one place or 2 in one place and 1 in the other.
We tend to like old world authentic charm, a lot of character, shopping, eating, biking/scootering, swimming. We have read that Hvar is more glitzy than Korcula so we were leaning toward the latter. However, there seems like there may be more to see/do on Hvar and we were thinking of staying in Stari Grad instead of Hvar Town so we aren't in the heart of the "glitz" yet we can go check it out. Thoughts? Should we stay in or close to Hvar Town or stay in SG? Should we go to Korcula instead Should we split it up or stay one one? Should we go somewhere else altogether while there?
Also, we prefer to self drive rather than rely on public transportation. Should we take our car on the ferry and have it on the island(s) we decide on or drop it off at the port and re-hire a car or a scooter on the island? And rehire again when we get to Split after the islands?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:24 AM

Having a car is always a good option, although during the summer season you need to book ferry tickets forward and back earlier.
Old May 17th, 2018, 05:34 PM

Car!

I wish I had rented a car on Hvar. I loved Stari Grad. Would gladly have stayed there. The bus didn't run much when I was there in April and I only had about a hour in SG. Hvar has lots of cafes but sitting and drinking is not my thing, I could have gone to every old town in Croatia and been happy!
Old May 17th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Btw, I don't know if its viable to take a car for a day or two and then drop it off. I will say you won't need a car in Split. In Split I took Uber to the Split airport where I rented a car for the rest of my trip. I drove to Plitvace and then through the country and went to a few medieval villages.