Rental car from Nice to Avignon help me choose a company

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to rent a car in Nice and return it in Avignon(3 days)
There are so many companies--please suggest your choice.
We will probably get an automatic--I'm comfortable driving manual, but DH is not. Also, he is 6'7' and needs a little leg room.

Please share your recommendations,
Thanks,
Barb
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:38 PM

go to www.autoeurope.com and see what you can get. Their price can be used as a benchmark when looking at the price offered by other companies.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:21 PM

Be careful with Hertz or Avis, they will often charge you a one-way fee when no other company will. Some of the smaller companies such as ADA charge mileage, companies used by Autoeurope do not.

Even if a company tells you they have a car available with auto transmission, do not be surprised if when you show up that the only cars on the lot are manuals. The French do not drive automatics and few rental companies stock them.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IME you CAN and WILL get an automatic if you rent with a reputable company or through AutoEurope or their sister company Kemwel. I've rented both sticks and autos in France several times without problems. That's why they call it a guarantee and why you will be paying for it, too.

And as to the so-called "drop charge"...AutoEurope also charges in certain instances and they will TELL YOU in advance what that drop charge is if it is included.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 08:36 AM

<i>.AutoEurope also charges in certain instances and they will TELL YOU in advance what that drop charge is if it is included.</i>

The drop charge is usually charged if the car is picked up in a city office, as opposed to the RR station or the airport. But the drop charge is usually higher than the RR station or the airport pickup fee.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 09:13 AM

I wouldn't think you'd have any problem getting an automatic in a huge city like Nice. I've never had a problem getting one when booking through Autoeurope or Kemwel and one place was a much smaller city than that (Montpellier). Had no problem in Marseille a couple times, and once was just at the train station in town.

I think the company I've ended up with was always Europcar. I called Kemwel to ask them about the availability at Gare St Charles in Marseille of A/Ts and they said I would absolutely have no problem, and that they had never gotten a complaint about that (I asked that question). They were right, in fact, it was a really neat car I loved (a Mercedes compact).

Autoeurope doesn't charge any drop-off fees, it is the car rental company that does, if any.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input--I have booked with Autoeurope. After reading the responses, I called them and a very helpful CSR looked at my options and we ended up with a Renault Megane automatic(or similar compact), no drop charge. They are using Europcar, since there is a convenient pick-up location in downtown Nice with return at the TGV station in Avignon.
She said that Avis won't do 1 way in France and Hertz has a 65 euro drop charge.

Thanks again,
Barb
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Take whatever Autoeurope gives you. It will likely be Europcar.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Jeez, I hate when I notice too late that a post is a year and a half old and has just been revived by a spammer.