Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which auto rental co to use and are there extra drop off charges if you leave car at different location than origin

which auto rental co to use and are there extra drop off charges if you leave car at different location than origin

Mar 17th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi. We plan on picking up a car in Nice or nearby and dropping it off at Avignon or Arles when we transfer to the tgv.
Do companie charge a huge fee for drop offs at a location different from origin?
Which co. offer best service and/or prices?
Out of curiousity, has anyone rented a smart car?
Mar 17th, 2006, 02:29 PM

I used Europe by Car with a pick up at Avignon TGV and a drop off at Nice. Great rate and no drop off fee.
Mar 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Check out the excellent rates at autoeurope.com. They're a consolidator, which is how they get very good rental rates; the cars actually come from assorted agencies. We usually end up with EuropeCar, which is fine; the best place to pick one up in Nice is at the "downtown" location.
Mar 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Try these guys:

http://www.fastcarhire.com

We picked up in Nimes and dropped off in Nice. There were no extra fees and they were wonderful to deal with. Cheap too!
Mar 17th, 2006, 06:06 PM

I just booked a rental in Copenhagen through www.kemwell.com, a site frequently recommended on this board, and got a rate significantly better than any others I'd found for that destination. They're a broker as well. Our car is actually operated by Europecar.

I don't care if there's an airport pickup/dropoff charge, or if there is an extra fee for dropoff at a different location, so long as the overall cost is reasonable and there are no hidden fees or things like limited mileage.
Mar 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Just got back from France. We arranged online with autoeurope.com to rent a car in Avignon at the TGV train station, then left it off in Nice at the airport. No extra drop off fees and the rate was quite reasonable for an automatic. All went smooth ...
Mar 17th, 2006, 06:33 PM

We never have been charged extra.
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM

We are doing the opposite - picking a car up in Aix at the TGV and dropping off in Nice airport.

We pick up Friday evening and return early Monday morning and we are paying $120. Manual transmission, no a/c (we go next week).

got it through autoeurope.com
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:15 AM
ira

Hi HK,

No extra fees for drop off in another location in the same country.

You don't want to drive a Smart Car on the road.

Check www.novarentacar.com

www.autoeurope.com will, usually, beat anyone else's rates.

Mar 18th, 2006, 05:19 AM

I have only rented from Europcar in France, and never had a drop fee for leaving it at a different city -- however, that was within the same general part of the country. That's what you are doing, so should be okay, however, I do think there might be drop fees if you rented a car in Nice and wanted to drop it in Rennes, perhaps. Anyway, it shouldn't be an issue for within Provence.

I always use Autoeurope, but the cars I've gotten through them have been Europcar. I imagine that drop fee is the car rental company's policy, not Autoeurope's.

I've never seen a Smartcar on a major road or highway, they are for urban use.
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I also endorse AutoEurope and its seems that you can get an extra discount if you book on the www.bonjourparis.com web site.

I leave in a month JFK/CDG for $541.
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Wooops. Got a bit confused.Thought everybody was talking about air fare. But for your info on the air fare it also included the first day free for a cell phone and car. Of course it doesn't mean anything unless you contract for both (or either one).
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Neopolitan

I just deleted an email from AutoEurope stating there was just one more week for their 10% prebooking summer discounts.

Mar 18th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Bigal, are you driving to Paris ?