Search

rental agencies help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rental agencies help

Hello,

Yesterday we (family of 4 - 2 girls 19 and 16) finally booked our flights to London. There are so many rental agencies and airbnb type offerings that I'm not sure the best ones to look at. Someone previously mentioned Ivy, but was looking for some others as well. Trying not to break the bank as we will be traveling for 3+ weeks (the first 6 nights in London). Is 275-300 pounds/night reasonable for a small apartment? Looking for 2 bedrooms and would be nice if the second bedroom had 2 single beds for the girls. I found these and they look decent to me. Any help on agencies, the attached rentals, or other rentals you know of would be helpful. We arrive in London on July 7. Thanks for the help.
https://www.ivylettings.com/search-rentals/par/ https://www.ivylettings.com/search-r...church-street/
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 06:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just quick . . . That is a lovely flat in a wonderful place to live. It is right next door to the Chelsea Physic Garden. Though maybe not the most convenient for visitors being more than half a mile from the nearest tube station (Sloane Square) and a mile from the South Kensington station. But there will be decent bus service along Royal Hospital Road. If that flat fits in your budget it is in quite a posh area and lots of restaurants and pubs nearby.

London Perfect is another high-ish end agency. Most of their 2 bdrm flats will be over your budget but they do have a few under £300/night.

My main go-to flats for families is currently closed for a full renovation
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj - It looks like both places are in the same neighborhood. One looks newer and more modern, but it's also more expensive. What do you think of the cheaper of the two (Church Street)? Thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 09:35 AM

Oh -- Duh. I didn't even notice there were two links -- My post was just re Paradise Walk.

As for Church Street it is just a bit farther west so 'fractionally' less convenient -- however it is likely closer to The Kings Road so even better bus service. It looks a tad bit posher to me and is cheaper. Doesn't appear to have the outdoor space that Paradise Walk has. I'd be happy in either property and would likely take whichever was less ££ for my dates.
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 09:41 AM

ps: The Paradise Walk listing doesn't make it totally clear if the access is Ground floor or Lower Ground floor (i.e. - basement), if that makes a difference to you. It wouldn't to me really and it does say 'Ground' but many (like most) flats with that sort of patio area are actually Lower Ground floor.
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a tourist, I wouldn't choose to stay in Chelsea. We had a week in an apartment there once and it was OK but didn't seem very central. We didn't book the apartment we ended up in, we were placed there after a mini disaster - third flat in a short period due to agency stuff ups. I like the Bloomsbury/Fitzrovia area. You could try looking at Citadines which has a few London properties. The Paradise apartment you found looks nice inside but to me, the location is super important, especially regarding tube/buses and places to eat/supermarket. The Imperial apartment that shows from your link might be OK inside but the fact it doesn't show any bedrooms or bathrooms is a bit of a red flag. May be all right but may not be. You could ask for more photos I guess.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 07:05 AM

Re KayF's post/info. She is correct that most areas of Chelsea are a little less convenient for tourists. It is one of the poshest/nicest residential neighborhoods in all of London, has tons of cafes, high-ish end restaurants, and pubs (Among many others, the three Michelin star Restaurant Gordon Ramsay is just around the corner from Paradise Walk - literally a 1 or 2 minute walk, and a short walk from Old Church Street)

But Chelsea IS a tube desert -- no Underground stations. Nearest is Sloane Sq. However there is good bus service on Kings Road and oter streets. Many first timers tend to avoid using the buses but for some trips, buses are better than the tube.

The various Citadines are more central -- Holborn is across the street from the Holborn tube station, Trafalgar Sq is right behind Charing Cross Station. South Kensington is farther west but is a 5 minute walk from Gloucester Rd Station and etc. They have the advantage of a front desk, housekeeper on site, usually a breakfast room or cafe. But none will have the character or comfort, 'posh-ness' of the two flats you linked if that matters. The 2 bdrm apartments will almost certainly cost more.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 07:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have stayed in that Chelsea neighborhood in a flat just down the street from the Chelsea Physic Garden. Great place to stay, despite the lack of a nearby tube station. Here is a link to my trip report: A week of Chelsea mornings: Nikki's trip to London

I have rented several times from A Place Like Home in London, very good experiences.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Not having a tube station nearby is certainly something to consider. Hoping that we can find a place with better access. Thanks for the tr Nikki - I'll check it out.