Greece itinerary help

Search

Greece itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2023, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece itinerary help

I am trying to plan a visit to Greece for about 10 days end of April -early May 2023 for my husband and me. We are active, fit, In our early 70's . We will be flying fromBoston, and wonder about flying directly to Santorini and saving Athens for the end of the trip, or as a friend suggested, doing a lot of the more active sight seeing around Athens before going to the islands and relaxing more, and flying home directly ( well with a major European city stop) from perhaps Santorini. I'm thinking 3 nights in Athens, 3 nights in Naxos, and 3 nights in Santorini. That allows for 1 more night in one of those locations. We prefer to stay in fewer places for longer than 1/2 nights when possible. Questions: where should our 4th night go? If I am able to add in one more night, what would you recommend we do with it? Better to visit Athens first or at the end? Will May 1 be affected because of the labor "observances"? Can a visit to Napflios be done from Athens as a day trip?
thanks, I always appreciate the thoughtful suggestions from the Fodorites!
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 10:39 PM

I would fly straight to Santorini for 3 nights, then ferry to Naxos for another three. Athens at the end, I’d add the extra night there for a day trip to Nafplion or Delphi. We spent 4 nights in Nafplion last May and day tripped to Delphi, both of which I highly recommend. There are several ancient sites in the Peloponnese peninsula, but of course you’ll need longer to cover these.

Do rent a car for a day on Santorini and drive around the island, visit ancient Akrotiri and the black and red sand beaches. Quite different from the stunning caldera views and on the eastern side of the island.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 01:37 AM

Go with your instincts and leave Athens for the end. Try to avoid travel on May 1st, which is Labor Day in Greece, and the ferries based on the mainland and Crete will be tied up at the docks. That affects ferry travel between Naxos and Santorini as well, because the ferries serving those two islands are based on the mainland or Crete. Other public services in Athens will be affected by the strikes as well, but few, if any, on the islands, where life goes on as normal.

It’s a pity you don’t have more time for your trip, because a couple of nights in Nafplio would give you time to see the UNESCO world class archeological sites around the city. I don’t think a day trip would do it justice. I will make no attempt to describe Nafplio, because this website tells it all:
http://www.visitnafplio.com/
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 05:20 AM

We visited Greece last May, and we fly out of Boston, too. Our itinerary for a 16-night trip was Santorini, Naxos, Nafplio, and we saved Athens for the end.

Visit Santorini first and save Athens for the end. Fly straight to Santorini on one ticket. That is what we did. We flew Swissair from Boston to Santorini with a layover in Zurich. This way if you miss your flight to Santorini, the airline is responsible for putting you on the next available flight. And you don't have to worry about your luggage until you arrive in Santorini.

I agree with Heimdall that a day trip to Nafplio doesn't do it justice. I think you need at least 3 nights there; we stayed for 5 nights.

I would add your extra night either to Naxos or Athens. If Athens, then perhaps you could visit Delphi as a day trip. I did that many, many years ago (in the 1970's).

I agree with Geetika about renting a car on Santorini for a day to see the rest of the island which is beautiful and interesting and very different from the caldera. And rent a car for a day on Naxos, too, to drive around and visit mountain villages and fishing villages.

If you wish, you can click on my name to read my trip report from last May.
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughtful suggestions. I've been reading more, and talking with my erstwhile traveling companion, and have this plan, with a couple of questions
fly Boston to Santorini
2 nights Santorini
ferry to Naxos - 3 nights Naxos
fly Naxos to Athens, rent a car from airport and drive to Napflio
3 nights in Napflio - visit various sites and explore around there
Drive to Athens, return car and 3 nights Athens before flying home

My main question right now - is 3 nights Napflio too much? better spend 4 nights in Naxos and 2 in Napflios? I think trying to get to Delphi seems (overly?) ambitious as a day trip. But it could be added instead of 3rd night in Napflio if it seems do-able. Or we could cut Athens to 2 nights. thoughts, anyone?
thanks!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 12:18 AM

If anything, three nights in Nafplio (not Napflio) isn’t enough. Have a look at this helpful website to see if Nafplio is for you.
http://www.visitnafplio.com/
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 09:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Three nights in Nafplio is barely enough time for this beautiful city which is surrounded by many of Greece’s most important antiquities.