Rent Car In Ireland

Search

Rent Car In Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rent Car In Ireland

We are a senior couple from USA - planning a driving trip the fall of 2008 to Ireland. I have driven frequently in Europe, UK and Ireland -most recently in Italy 2007.
Our problem is finding a rental agency that will rent to us. I am over 75 years old.

Does anyone know of an car agency in Dublin or Shannon that would rent a car to us?

We love Ireland and love to travel independently.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. rkrummel
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; Call Auto Europe at 888-2235555. They can answer any questions you have. We are only 70 and 73 and have rented with Budget with no restrictions. Other companies charge extra in our age bracket. You will have to pay extra, but I think you will find a car to hire. Iris
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

I e/mailed Auto Europe-they will rent us a car with the following provisions in Ireland-if you are 76 years old or older.
1. Provide a doctors letter-stating you are in good health.
2. Required to rent an automatic vehicle.
3. Full insurance required.
4. Additional fee for driver over 75 years old.

Thanks irs1745.

rkrummel
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Hello, personally I would not drive in Ireland even though I have driven on business over 5000 miles in the UK. The roads are narrower and the driver can't see over the headges in the country side. It was a bit more costly but we used Terry Flynn Tours and with a small van we were all higher and could all relax and see everything.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM

We have the opposite opinions as Charles Racine; we found Ireland to be fairly easy to drive in. The countryside is beautiful and the roads were in decent shape. Some are very narrow, but nothing too harrowing.

Tracy
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Hi rkrummel; In Ireland thru Auto Europe they rent with 'insurance inclusive that includes collision'. However, the deductable is very high and could be anywhere from $1300 to $1800 depending upon the company. Make sure that 'Full Insurance' meanns that you can buy a 'super collision' that will reduce the deductable to a very low amount. If not, you can then decide whether or not the deductable is acceptable. Iris
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM

rkrummel,
Go to http://www.irelandexpert.com/ and she has info on Dan Dooley car rental. They have an 800 number and they are very helpful. Also you get a 10% discount when you mention her name.
Good Luck, Joan
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM

We just returned a few days ago from Ireland and used Dan Dooley. Great service. recommend the GPS (it was very helpful for us)
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
PMJ

We used O'Scannlain two years ago and are using them again this summer. http://www.irelandtouring.com/about.html
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
PMJ

PS- I would also second getting a GPA. Though we had difficulty when we were on a new road- the GPS showed us in a peat bog.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 01:51 AM

An acquaintance suggested that I 'book' a 'fly and drive' airline package (i.e., that includes a car rental). I'm 76 and haven't tried that yet.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 03:43 AM

rk-- stay far and away from Auto Europe. We still have to collect $435 they were found to overcharge on a case of Bait & Switch, a fraudulent practice. Turns out we are only one of many complaints for Bait & Switch fraudulent practice that AutoEurope faces with the Better Business Bureau. The "icing on the cake" is that our credit card was credited $43; talk about adding insult to injury. This company can't make right lately and even when found at fault, they will try to scam you. This was an Ireland trip and all dealings were with their Portland, Maine office (I believe that is the phone Iris gave you). I have posted this before and it is only fair to pass on a strong warning. Very sad to have to go through this that with a company I sponsored for 20 years. Buyers Beware.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Bait and Switch; We have used Auto Europe many times with no problems. As far as the Better Business B., they have a SATISFACTORY rating for Auto Europe. This BBB covers Eastern Mass., Maine and Vermont. Auto Europe had 21 complaints over the last 36 months. Nine were closed to the customers satisfaction. Twelve were closed with customers not satisfied, BUT the BBB acepted Auto Europes attempt to resolve the issues. People can make their own judgement about Auto Europe, but these are the FACTS from the BBB web site. ENJOY Iris
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 06:48 AM

WOW!! 21 complaints in 36 months?? Now, that is really a HORRENDOUS, APPALING RECORD.

When you consider BBB is one of the last recourses for customer complaint resolution. You have just given me more facts to DEFINITELY stay away from Auto Europe!

By the way, the resolution statistics just vouches for the great consumer advocates BBB is.

Thanks Iris, you really have given me more confidence on my desicion to stay away from Auto Europe.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 07:16 AM

MY FINAL THOUGHT; I respect peoples opinions. My opinion is, when a company is dealing with THOUSANDS of rentals over three years, twenty one complaints is not HORRENDOUS or APPALING. Who knows, if I were in the same situation I might feel the same way as Viajero2. However, after renting with Auto Europe for many years, I consider them very reputable. My two trips this year, with rentals in Ireland in June and France in September are both using Auto Europe. Last year in Italy it was Nova Car Rental. If I wanted to, I could find 'complaints' against ANY car rental agency. And I'm not saying peoples complaints are not justified. But as in any dispute, there are TWO sides to every story. We have only heard one side. Iris
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Iris-- your last post has provided quite a bit of entertainment to my husband and I. The only side I care to hear was BBB and it ruled on our favor, but really enjoyed the rant, thanks. Now, go and relax, take a deep breath, let go. It's OK.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Your right Viajero2, you should 'LET IT GO'. As you said, you posted it before. It seems like you 'CAN'T LET IT GO'. As for me, my family always says I offer way to many suggestions. Anyways, I like the conversation. Love to you Both. ENJOY Iris
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM

If you haven't already made arrangements, try Enterprise but use the Ireland website: www.enterprise.ie for their best rates. Call the office where you wish to rent and verify their terms. Dublin airport office will rent to older drivers (76) and we have reserved for our trip in September.