RENFE site impossible to use! Please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent over four hours last night trying to buy tickets from Seville to Granada and then another pair of tickets from Granada to Madrid. I have tried everything - I registered as a user - even tho there was no place to enter United States and the state I live in - it still let me register. Have tried Capital One visa, a world card Mastercard, bankamerica visa and my American Express. One time on both visa and mastercard it progressed further asking me to enter my security codes for both cards (not sure what it is called but you need a separate password which I had used previously)

In all attempts i got the same message - should have written it down and you would think I would have memorized it - but it basically says cannot continue I understand from lots of research online that others have experienced this but eventually got it to work. I even called two of my credit card companies to make sure they were not holding it back.

I know there is a site called rumbo.com - and I looked at that but I was getting tickets for Grananda to Madrid for around 27 euros and they were more than double that on Rumbo. I also went to Raileurope site where I could have purchased the tickets, but again at a premium

I am so frustrated and do not know what to do next. Read the instructions on tripadvisor and also on seat 61 If anyone has conquered this site in past couple of days I would love to hear how you did it

Thank you - the travel dates are June 6 for seville to granada and June 8 to madrid. Do you think we can wait until we get there?

Pams
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Try:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...s.Online..html
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM

All that should sort this out for you is advised in the link above.

Seville to Granada on the regional/media distance train is unlikely to be a problem and there is no saving in booking ahead. (And there are buses more frequent.)

If you make the effort and are still puzzled, I am watching if you post again.
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM

The advice listed on TA is fine, but the fact is that the Renfe website just hasn't worked very well since they upgraded it nearly two years ago.

First a few facts:
1. You can use your Amex card to purchase tickets, but only if you call Renfe, not online.
2. Bank of America says that it does not use the VISA verification program in Spain, thus your Bank of America VISA Credit Card will not work.
3. Your Bank of America VISA Debit Card will work, if the site is up and working properly.
4. Almost any MasterCard should work.

Renfe has reduced the number of discounted fares it offers, especially on the more popular routes, so worrying about getting a discounted ticket is no longer a major issue when trying to purchase them online. We have started using Petrabax when we run into problems. They are the official representative for Renfe in the States.
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM

buses may be a better bet Seville to Granada and cheaper - just show up - lots of buses.
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:35 PM

" but the fact is that the Renfe website just hasn't worked very well since they upgraded it nearly two years ago."

Don't know why, but it work with my MC issued by a Canadian bank every time .
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Did you try telephoning the ticket office and purchasing over the phone?
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM

I wasn't successful after MANY attempts with my American Mastercards (tried two different ones). I understand your frustration.
Old May 13th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

After much much much frustration finally succeeded in using Renfe website to purchase train tickets from Granada to Madrid at 27.6 E - what finally worked for me was my Chase debit card. this was after calling Visa and Mastercard several times to no avail - finally thought I would try debit card and it worked. Pam