Having trouble purchasing tickets on Giverny website

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm trying to buy tickets from home to Giverny to save some time and avoid a long line once I get there. I'm on their website, trying to pay for the tickets. I'm supposed to choose a country, but I don't see the U.S. listed among the many countries offered. If I try to just use a different country, it rejects it because I also have to put in my cell phone number. Am I missing something, or is this service not offered to us here?
Thanks,
Laurie
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:07 PM

The countries are in French so the US is Etats-Unis.
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:09 PM

BTW for the future when you're stuck on a site such as this it's really helpful for responders to have a link to the page so we don't have to go through the entire ticketing process to help you out. Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Adrienne. So much to learn.....
Unfortunately, for whatever unknown reason, it's not accepting my Visa card. It keeps asking me to check the card's details. Sigh. Nothing is simple.
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:01 PM

Have you called your bank that issued the VISA and told them you are trying to make an online overseas purchase? They usually block those kinds of transactions unless you call ahead. Call the customer service number on the back of the card
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

OMG. I don't know what I would do without you people. And I haven't even left the country yet.....
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:45 PM

Old May 30th, 2013, 02:27 AM

I have a suggestion for buying the tickets at Giverny and not queuing! There is an off-shoot of the Orsay museum at Giverny call Le Musée des Impressionismes, which is worth visiting, by the way. There is a Signac exhibition at the moment. If you buy your ticket there (a double museum/garden ticket), you won't queue for tickets and can use the direct entrance either on the side or the main entrance. We went last Saturday afternoon and had no problems.
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:57 AM

blackmons:

If you're still having trouble getting your Giverny tickets using your VISA card, it could be that the ticket service is only accepting VISA cards that are part of the Verified by VISA program, an extra credit card security program that some credit card issuers, including banks, have signed up for. Many have not. I had trouble using by MasterCard when I tried to purchase bus tickets in Italy because my MasterCard, issued by Citibank, was not part of MasterCard SecureCode, an extra security credit card program similar to VISA's Verified by VISA. Citibank chose not to sign up for the SecureCode program. Hence, my online transactions were immediately blocked.

What financial institution issued you your VISA card?
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
AussieFrance----great suggestion
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:53 AM

You can buy Giverny tickets in Paris at a FNAC store. They have several locations... just Google for one that will be convenient
for you to use. While you're at it... buy your train tickets in Paris too at any station or SNCF boutique... again, Google for one handy to you. You'll leave from Gare St Lazare but getting tickets ahead of time will save you a 30-45 minute line up the day of. Bonne chance!
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Sorry -- I didn't realize there were more comments. As it turned out, once I called Visa and answered an incredible number of security questions, the charge went through. But thanks so much for the additional suggestions. I really appreciate it! I will definitely take your advice on getting train tickets ahead of time!
Laurie
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 06:09 AM

I purchased tix to Giverny last week. I first tried with my Mastercard. Rejected twice. Then I used my Chase Visa and the charge was accepted.

OK, I thought maybe it was because the Visa has the embedded chip and the MC does not. I few minutes later I got a call from MC asking if we had made a purchase in France. It was hard to understand the young lady calling, but I believe she said she was taking our card off the Held list. She also apologized.

A few minutes later we got an email from Visa asking us to confirm that the charge was legit.

I always advise the card companies in advance of overseas travel, but didn't know there would be a problem 4 months ahead of travel!