Registering in Sarajevo

Search

Registering in Sarajevo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2023, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Registering in Sarajevo

We are staying in Sarajevo city centre in a few weeks time but notice our government website (UK) says we need to register on arrival. Has anyone else had experience of this and what exactly we need to do?

Thanks Mike
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikestaines7932
We are staying in Sarajevo city centre in a few weeks time but notice our government website (UK) says we need to register on arrival. Has anyone else had experience of this and what exactly we need to do?

Thanks Mike
Like a lot of countries the "state" likes to monitor where visitors are. In this case Bosnia H. Normally your hotel/B&B/Air BnB will do it for you, if not, you have to. It is that bit where you hand the hotel your passport for a couple of hours while you have a meal and come back to find all the paperwork done.
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Like a lot of countries the "state" likes to monitor where visitors are. In this case Bosnia H. Normally your hotel/B&B/Air BnB will do it for you, if not, you have to. It is that bit where you hand the hotel your passport for a couple of hours while you have a meal and come back to find all the paperwork done.
We are staying in an Airbnb rather than a hotel and the host says they dont do it for us so still need to find out what to do/where to go
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 07:56 AM

Per Google, the police ststion.
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 08:31 AM

If you are staying more than 3 days you need to register at the nearest police station within 48 hours. You will need to show your Airbnb booking, as well as your passports. A letter from the host would help too.
Google maps will show you the nearest police station is, if the host doesn't tell you.
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 12:39 PM

I’d go to the tourist office first, they may direct you to the post office(to pay the tourist tax. Your landlord is suppose to do it, not you: have a copy of your receipt. But a letter from the landlord is not needed and if they won’t register you, I doubt they are going to be willing to write a letter.

If you are going for a holiday though, flying in and out, and have a receipt of your accommodation, I would not worry about it too much.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 12:04 AM

You need to report to the police station not the tourist office if you are staying more than 3 days, and do so within 48 hours of arrival. it is the law, regardless of what passport you possess. If you stay in a hotel they will register you, but anywhere else you have to do it.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 01:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what heti says
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
You need to report to the police station not the tourist office if you are staying more than 3 days, and do so within 48 hours of arrival. it is the law, regardless of what passport you possess. If you stay in a hotel they will register you, but anywhere else you have to do it.
That has not been my experience in Bosnia and I have rented apartments on both AirBnb and booking.com. Have you been there recently?
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 08:06 AM

No but I can read thank you. Dutch travel advice, UK travel advice, Bosnian travel advice. All say the same thing.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
No but I can read thank you. Dutch travel advice, UK travel advice, Bosnian travel advice. All say the same thing.
Well, there is what is on the internet and what is reality, but whatever.

May be best for the OP to ask the tourist office, or find an accommodation (apartment or hotel) that will do the registering for him.

https://www.visitsarajevo.ba/