Refund?

Old Mar 13th, 2020, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Refund?

I had made two reservations at hotels for mid-May - one in France (Nice) and one in Italy (Rapallo). Both were non-refundable but who knew????? I have emailed today requesting refunds. Anyone on the board in a similar situation? Any success with a refund?
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 06:07 AM

It really depends on the small print how non refundable a booking is. You did read the small print before making the booking? Obviously not since you apparantly didn't know.
Normally a non refundable booking is just that, regardless of the circumstances. If there is still a lock down by the government at the time of your booking you may be able to get some of your money back, but I wouldn't bet on it. It is deemed an Act of God and that is normally excluded from insurances and refund policies.
The hospitality industry is really suffering because of the virus, and many places will close permanently as a result of it.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 06:15 AM

It is two months away. It may be OK to travel by then.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 06:25 AM

Non refundable means you do not get your money back. Unless you have travel insurance that will cover this.
Hotels are having a very hard time, I'd be surprised if they refunded you. Maybe a change to a later date is possible.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 06:40 AM

Mid May is a long way off, anything can happen by then. I'd be embarrassed to ask for a refund on a non refundable booking. If you are not allowed to travel to France or Italy, then your travel insurance should/might cover you for the hotel.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 07:09 AM

That is the beauty of English, a language with a rich vocabulary making the meaning of words or phrases clear and leaving no doubt as to the
intent.

Old Mar 13th, 2020, 07:11 AM

I once chose a non-refundable room by mistake when making reservations on booking.com. Non-refundable is non-refundable.

Lesson learned, and I now double-check myself before finalizing anything.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 07:32 AM

The last hope if things become really bad is a government obliging such places to refund everything. But they will only dare do that if they are able to guarantee equivalent compensation to the hoteliers, etc. So don't count on it.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 07:51 AM

Hilton is refunding non-cancallable reservations in some circumstances:
"Your Travel Flexibility

We remain committed to offering you flexible booking options. Given these unique circumstances we are making additional adjustments to our individual booking policies to give you extra peace of mind:
  • Government Restrictions. In regions affected by government-issued travel restrictions, we will continue to waive change fees or offer full refunds. Please click here for the latest information on our travel waivers.
  • Existing Reservations. All reservations – even those described as "non-cancellable" (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are scheduled for arrival before April 30, 2020, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.
  • New Reservations. Any reservation you make – even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are booked between today and April 30, 2020, for any future arrival date, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.
If you need to adjust reservations made via the Hilton website, app or call center, please contact the Hilton Guest Assistance team. If you need to adjust reservations made through another travel site, please contact them for assistance."
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 08:18 AM

Oh, well I nearly wrote that the big chains were certain to be more flexible but since so many people here prefer small independent hotels and disdain the chains I didn't think it was useful.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 08:45 AM

I had reservations at the Quality Inn Bordeaux for 16-18 Apr .... they are sympathetic but refused to
refund.

s
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 08:49 AM

So they are probably just a franchise and not corporate owned. That's how the corporations limit the risk in case anything like this happens. Also it is a bit too early to completely justify a cancellation.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 08:58 AM

Lol kerouac. You have no idea what the circumstances were regarding why the corona virus prompted my cancellation (risk groups/travel/isolation).

s
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by swandav2000 View Post
Lol kerouac. You have no idea what the circumstances were regarding why the corona virus prompted my cancellation (risk groups/travel/isolation).

s
So you can tell us what the situation will be on April 16th in Bordeaux as it relates to the virus containment? We were thinking of a mid-spring trip, but if I can know what is going on in mid-april, we'd consider traveling.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 09:35 AM
J62

"So you can tell us what the situation will be on April 16th in Bordeaux as it relates to the virus containment? We were thinking of a mid-spring trip, but if I can know what is going on in mid-april, we'd consider traveling."

Here's my hunch about Bordeaux on April 16th (I'm good with these things). I speculate that warm weather will kill the virus and stop its spread. It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.

Old Mar 13th, 2020, 09:45 AM

uuuhhh... my and my friends' personal circumstances. As I alluded to in the categories of risk, etc.

s
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 10:09 AM

When one has "personal circumstances," one pays for the appropriate insurance to cover any problem. It is not the hotelier's responsibility.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 10:37 AM

Well of course I agree. I didn't think it was their responsibility. Nevertheless, it was worth it to me to ask -- politely. When they politely refused, I thanked them for their kind consideration.

I only posted here to reply to the OP on her query if anyone else had requested a refund in light of the virus and been refused.

s
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 10:52 AM

I’m not sure why people think the virus will disappear in the heat. Australian numbers are rising along with other countries, and Aus is having temps of 32 c.
our insurance has advised they pay for anything to do with the virus including cancellations. We did take out top of the range though because as you get older you are more at risk.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

OP update - I received prompt responses from both properties - both felt it was too early to cancel and receive refunds but both "left the door open" as to a possible refund in the future, depending on the situation in their country and also flight cancellations. That seemed reasonable to me. I am certainly hoping all will be calm and we can go.

Of course I am aware that non-refundable is non-refundable but it seems as the virus rolls along, there are many changes by various travel entities as to changes or refunds. I figure it never hurts to ask, esp. when circumstances are so unusual. But I am fine with wait and see - and hope to travel!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO