Recommended wineries in Austria or Czech

Old Jun 12th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Any recommended wineries in Austria or Czech Republic? Good wine and a bonus would be good views.
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 10:50 AM

Where do you plan to be in the CR? I don't think Czech wines are very good, to be honest, but I think the reds are better than the whites. I think the main wine region is Moravia where the vast majority of Czech wines come from, so if you aren't down there, not sure what you can do. I think Chateau Valtice is supposed to make fairly good red wines, it's down near the AUstrian border.

some info
http://www.czechtourism.com/c/valtice-chateau/
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Posted by: viranpooja on Jun 12, 16 at 11:30am

Can't help you with wineries but for tasting the product I suggest the wine bistro Wine & Co. It is on a walk street near the Domkirche St. Stephan. It is very contemporary, fashionable, and unique in my experiences.
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 09:34 PM

You may be confusing wineries with heurigen, the wine taverns and kellergasse that dot the Czech and Austrian wine regions of Moravia and Niederösterreich. For heurigen with a view you'll have to head into the vineyards that line the northern edge of Vienna, out to the Wachau Valley or through the souther border area of Moravia.

I really can not recommend one heurigen over the other, as the wine is rather local and preferences are personal. Some we visit for their beautiful gardens; others, for the view and/or the food.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 12:57 AM

The Czechs make pretty good white wines, too. Melnik, a small town north of Prague, where the Vltava flows into the Labe river, has a very good winery: http://www.lobkowicz-vinarstvi.cz/en/about-us/

The castle is a bonus, too, I guess! Beautiful town, and you can sit outside with a view of the confluence of the rivers, sipping your wine ...
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys!