Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for weekend destinations in W Germany/Switzerland?

Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:58 PM
Jennifer

Hello Everyone,

I am a college student and will be attending a study-abroad program in Paris during the month of July. I am trying to plan a few weekend trips to (relatively) nearby destinations, figuring that this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see as much of Europe as I can. This will be my first time in Europe, and I have little command over any European languages besides English and a smattering of Spanish.

I have three weekends to work with, and I thought that the best course of action would be to spend one weekend in Germany, one weekend in Switzerland, and one weekend in Amsterdam/Brussels. I will be travelling by train, so I am looking mostly into going to major cities. What do you think is the most visit-worthy city in Switzerland? What do you think is the most visit-worthy city in Western Germany (ideally no more than six hours' rail from Paris)?

Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it very much.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:05 PM
Jennifer

I forgot to mention:

The cities that I am trying to decide between in Switzerland are Bern, Geneva and Zurich.

For Germany I am thinking primarily of going to Frankfurt.

Thanks again,
Jennifer

Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:01 PM
Sue

While I am heading to Switzerland for the first time next week, I know about Germany and where I'm going in Swiss.
I did NOT enjoy Frankfurt as I had other German cities. It is idustrial, corwded and filled with American-looking titty-bars. I loved Heidleberg, Berchtesgarten, and Munich. Any Bavarian location is ideal, in my opinion.

For Switzerland, I've heard that Geneva, Grindlewald and Lucerne are very nice. Further out to the east are St. Moritz and other Alpine resort towns.

Jul 4th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Jan

Jennifer,
Geneva is nice, but not really representative of Switzerland. I love Bern. It is the capital of Switzerland and made of sandstone with beautiful arcades to walk through. I would also recommend Luzern (I live here!. Not as international as Geneva, but the lake is much more beautiful and you can get the flavor of the Alps and the Swiss German culture. Bottom line...rainy weather, do Bern...sunny weather , do Luzern!
Cheers,
Jan

Jul 4th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Daniel

Frankfurt is not very visit-worthy. It is the financial capital of Germany, with the stock exchange and all the banks.

Heidelberg is a better weekend destination (night train from Paris Est 22.27, arr 5.56).

Jul 4th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Nick

I'd recommend Lucerne or Grindelwald for Switzerland, NOT Geneva (it's not very Swiss IMO). Zurich is also a nice city but I think you'd enjoy more quaintness for your weekend. Germany has some nice areas as well, but nothing beats Switzerland. Enjoy your studies...what a great opportunity. Nick

Jul 5th, 2002, 02:30 AM
yodel

For Switzerland, go to Zurich: it's one of the trendiest cities in Europe (judged by those in-the-know) and has got lots of historical cultural too. If you're a nature freak, then spend the days in the mountains: from Zurich ca. 2-to-2 1/2 hrs. by train is Flims, Davos or Lenzerheide. From Bern, Wengen or Grindelwald about 2 hrs.; and from Geneva Villars or Gstaad about 2 hrs.

Jul 5th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Julie

I live in Frankfurt and do not recommend you use one of your weekends to come here. I agree with a previous message which mentioned Heidelberg.

Jul 5th, 2002, 04:11 AM
jw

Hi, Jennifer. Lucerne or Zurich, and Munich for sure. J.

Jul 5th, 2002, 07:01 AM
B.J.

Hi Jennifer
Lucky you!! I guess it depends on your interests. The big cities are hard to get to know on a weekend and really don't give you the flavor of the country. I would go to Heidelburg or Rotenburg and follow the Romantic Road. Or, what about a stay along the Rhine River. Take a trip on one of the riverboats and stop off at many of the charming cities along the way. Lots of college students in the area.
In Switzerland I would go to Luzern and spend time in this charming city. Lots to see and do. Interlaken is also a fun place and a trip up to the Jungfrau would be memorable.
Amsterdam is also interesting - great Museums, canals, etc. A visit to Brughes(sp?) would also be special. As I said at the top - it depends on your interests. No matter what you choose, it will surely be memorable. You just have to decide what would suit you best. Have a great trip. Don't worry about the language. Just remember to be polite, smile, and learn a few key phrases and you will be fine!

Jul 5th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Bob

Been going through the Frankfurt airport for 30 years and never had any desire to see Frankfurt nor never heard of anything I had missed in Frankfurt. Your best best is the head to Bavaria. Train to Garmisch and see that area if you only have a weekend. If that is too far, do Heidelberg...not Frankfurt. Or the area of the Rhine River.

Bern is a great city to walk in. We were there a few years ago and visited the Congress while it was in session. Sat in the gallery for a few minutes. Did not understand a thing, but enjoyed the experience. The Clock Tower is also fun to see.

Zurich rates with me as Frankfurt. Busy town, lotta traffic, business center. Your time better spent in the smaller cities: Lucerne, Interlaken, Murren, etc.

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Tracey

I would agree that Frankfurt is not the place to go. I lived in Mannheim and near Kaiserslautern in High School. Now I am looking to go back and make a tour of the Rhinne area. It is beautiful. Heidelberg is pretty and would give you some essence of that area. Munich area and Bavaria are most gorgeous, but quite south and may take quite a bit of time, even on train. I should be about 4 hours on train to Heidelberg or Rhinne area. Good luck - it is worth it.

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:44 AM
hans

Don't forget Lake Constance!

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Ingo

Another vote for Bern/Switzerland and Heidelberg/Germany.

Ingo