Recommend hotels in Taksim or Beyoglu area in Istanbul

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of years ago I stayed at the Nena Hotel in Sultanahmet and loved it.

Next spring I'll be attending a conference in the Harbiye area, so I prefer to stay in the Taksim/Beyoglu which is ~1-2 km south, a bit closer than Sultanahmet.

Many of the hotels in Tripadvisor with great reviews are all located in Sultanahmet. I have a hard time finding in Taksim/Beyoglu, those small, intimate, boutique type hotel that are so prevalent in Sultanahmet. I am trying to avoid the "highrise", moderm type of hotels.

Does anyone know about the smaller hotels in Taksim/Beyoglu? price range preferably below 200 euros per night.

Any recommendation is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM

I was in Istanbul in April and stayed at the Galata Residence in Beyoglu (Galata) www.galataresidence.com. It is an apartment hotel and we loved our accomodations, the price was excellent, and the service was wonderful. It does not include breakfast but it is close to a great market and shops where you can pick up basics for breakfast. they also are WiFi in the lobby and everytime my daughter and husband went to the lobby to use their computers the staff offered tea and were very friendly. You can check out my trip report just search "risab."

We loved the location and since we are into walking we had no problem walking to Sultanehmet and back (even twice in one day) - but we loved the Beyoglu neighborhood and proximity to all of the great restaurants and shopping.

I highly recommend the place and would stay there again...and we hope to oneday be able to return!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM

Take a look at this site; I have found them helpful:

www.nisanyan.net
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ekscrunchy.

I do have the nisanyan site and did check into it. The ones listed in the Taksim/Beyoglu area are more of the residence type (like the Galata Residence), except for the Lush Hotel, which gets mixed review in Tripadvisor.

Gues I will have to "settle" for the Sultanahmet area - Empress Joe, Armada or even Yesil Ev (recommended by Rachel Weiss a few yaers back but gets mixed review in Tripadvisor) - are my type of hotels (smallish, intimate - not so sanitized/cold like the big chains)
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM

We liked the Larespark, which is very close to the Taksim Square, a lot when it belonged to the Dorint chain.

It has cozy rooms, a wonderpool indoor pool, a breathtaking hamam and an excellent champagne breakfast.

http://www.laresparkhotel.com/laresistanbul/index.html
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Take a look at the Villa Zurich. It is in a great area of the "new" city and has very well-regarded restaurant. I know it does not look as charming as those you mentioned, but if you want to be in that area...

I did not stay there but had a look when I was there in 2005..
http://www.hotelvillazurich.com/

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Hotel Villa Zurich suggestion - I looked at their website and ... can' say I like it because it is very plain.

If I can't find hotels like Sari Konak, Empress Joe or Yesil Ev in Taksim or Beyoglu, I would either stay in Sultanahmet area, or go with Germir Palas in Boyoglu even though it is a bit over-the-top for me.
www.germirpalas.com
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Germir Palas looks good indeed. It is certainly a class above the Larespark.

Beyoglu/Taksim is more authentic for Istanbul than Sultanahmet which is mainly a tourist area. IMO, you find the better restaurants and nightlife in Beyoglu. But location does not matter too much - distances are short and taxis are cheap.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM

Germir and Lares are two different class, and I like them both. Germir has more look of old stylish and cozy hotel, I stayed there several times especially for its location, walking distance to places I neede to. I am not a big fan of trip advisor, and if you stuck on TA only, you may miss out something nicer which would be fulfilling your requirements. ( I have seen poeple paid to write on TA and or asked at presence of hoteliers.TA for me gives an idea at glimpse as everyone expectations, moods and time of travel and circumstances will not be the same)

There are many nice hotels at Taxim area and two names mentioned certainly within the category....

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 03:36 AM

JM and Murat:

There is also Buyuk Londra...looks like its has lots of atmosphere. Location is great.

http://www.londrahotel.net/
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Hi ekscrunchy,
I know the hotel, a bit weary but has a charm and fame. There are people staying there months, even some residents of Istanbul. However if you have a meeting better to be more closer to Taxim center too.

Hope you are well

Cheers,
Murat