Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recently returned - hotel reports - Crystal Hotel and Hotel Delavigne, Paris . . .

Search

Recently returned - hotel reports - Crystal Hotel and Hotel Delavigne, Paris . . .

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all:

I’ve been using this board since 1999 to plan trips to Europe and have gotten tons of good information. My husband puts our travel journals on our website and our latest trip will be posted oin a few weeks, but I wanted to give input on several of the hotels we stayed at because I know how helpful that information can be.

Crystal Hotel Paris

We had an unexpected night in Paris and from Prague I booked the Crystal Hotel through Expedia. What a pleasant surprise! Even though I had done tons of research on hotels in the 6th arron., I had never heard of this hotel. It is a small 3-star hotel in St. Germaine des Pres, also with a small room, but nice and in a fabulous location (though a bit noisy at night with our windows open but the sounds were incredible live jazz coming from nearby!). We found out that Django Reinhardt spent many years here. We would definately stay here again. Shower water pressure good and the room had a safe.

Hotel Delavigne, Paris

Another hotel in St. Germaine des Pres. This one I had booked several months ago and while it was fine (yes, typical small rooms and very small bathroom), beautiful lobby and helpful staff (most of the time), I’d recommend it, but don’t know if I’d rush back. I didn’t feel it was anything special and was a bit disappointed based on the reviews I had read. We had breakfast a couple of times at the hotel (not included in room price) and it was a bit inconsistent. It was a buffet and they’d have something one morning, but not the next. I hate to nitpick because I would stay there again, but as I said, I wouldn’t rush back. Shower water pressure good and the room had a safe.

Carol
www.davidandcarol.com
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Welcome home, clehrman. Can you give us some more info on the Crystal Hotel? Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the hotel reviews. I had read about the Crystal Hotel before and know in general where it's located which is in a great area by St. Germain.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Iregeo:

It's amazing how one forgets the details of a hotel in a matter of weeks!

As I mentioned, we only stayed at the Crystal Hotel one night. I had booked it at the last minute through Expedia while we were in Prague.

The room was $174 US and didn't include breakfast (as is typical of many Paris hotels). Our room was on the top floor and the miniscule elevator didn't go all the way to the top so we had to walk up one flight. This bothered my husband a bit but I didn't mind.

Again, our room was small but nicely appointed. I've seen photos of other rooms at this hotel and they look larger, but unfortunately I didn't see any other rooms. It had a safe, hair dryer, but no AC.

Bruno, the concierge when we arrived was very, very helpful and speaks fairly good English (although I like to use my high-school French). He told us when we were leaving that Django Reinhardt either stayed or lived here for many years. He also said that Woody Allen (who is a friend of the owner) sometimes stays there while in Paris.

A few of the couches in the lobby could be replaced as they are well-worn leather, but now I'm really nit-picking.

Again, the location in the 6th is fantastic. This is our favorite arrondisment.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know, and if you'd like to see photos of the hotel, post your email address and I'll send them to you.

Carol
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Thank you for posting this
Could I possibly get some photos? Thank you , Scarlett
[email protected]
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Hi
I stayed at the Delavigne in January and had a different experience. We did notice, by peeking, that there seemed to be a lot of variation in the room sizes and I saw a couple of VERY small doubles.
We had asked for a twin room (the beds were pushed together anyway) and found it a good size, and our bathroom not at all tiny (and I do know tiny, especially in Paris.)

They seemed to have changed the breakfast arrangements, because when we were there it wasn't a buffet, each of us was provided with a basket including a fresh baguette, a huge and delicious fresh croissant, a flaky sweet bread item, freshly-squeezed fruit juice, and good coffee (the good coffee in itself was remarkable in my experience). We thought it a good deal.

Some friends of mine got back from Paris yesterday, and stayed at the Delavigne on my recommendation, which made me a bit nervous. At my suggestion, the two couples booked twin rooms, not doubles. They thought, as we did, a good deal for the price, and had pretty much the same reactions I did as to the hotel's attractivenes, amenities, comfort, and excellent location. There is no a/c in the hotel, and this wasn't an issue of course in January. While my friends were there the weather wasn't hot, but they did want to open the windows for some fresh air, and found that their street-facing rooms were noisy, which I hadn't experienced, but we'd kept our windows closed.

Of course people have different reactions to hotels. At least you felt that you'd stay there again. We'd hated the Grand Hotel des Balcons just up the street (that's actually how we ended up at the Delavigne, we moved from the Balcons after two unhappy days) but liked the Delavigne very much at a price only slightly more than the down-at-heels but very popular 2-star Balcons.

The Crystal sounds like another good one to consider, do you have an address or website? If they have a/c, might try it next time, because I'd like my next trip to Paris to be in a warmer season, my last two visits having been in winters.
You mention open windows and noise there too, I wonder if they have a/c.

Old May 19th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi Elaine:

I think your recommendation was one of the ones that made me pick the Hotel Delavigne! But like I said - we'd definately stay there again.

However, I forget to mention, that when we arrived and they gave us our room key, I looked at the room and asked if there was a larger room. The desk clerk was very nice and let me see two other rooms - they were all about the same size but we picked a room other than the original. So I'm not sure that the double rooms are much bigger than what we had.

Our friends, who were also staying at the hotel, had asked for a triple and had a very large room!

Oh well - I'm probably nit-picking because we are really very flexible travelers and don't judge a city by our hotel room.

As far as the Crystal Hotel - it doesn't seem that they have their own website. If you do a search on google, you'll find they're part of other multi-hotel websites. Also, I don't think they have AC.

FYI - the lobby at the Delavigne is very nice - much nicer than the Crystal!

Carol
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Here's info, and a website with pictures, on the Crystal Hotel

Crystal Hotel, 24 rue St Benoit, 6th http://www.hotels-paris-reservation.com (includes pictures)

email: [email protected]

Category *** Rooms 26 (9 with air-conditioning) with soundproofing, bath or shower, WC, telephone, minibar, safe, satellite TV. Breakfast 9,15€, served 7:30-11:00. Credit cards All major. Pets Dogs allowed. Facilities Elevator, laundry service. Parking 169, boulevard Saint-Germain. Open All year.

the reviews at tripadvisor are very positive,with a couple of exceptions, one person mentioned mold in their bathroom, another had a room that in their opinion was dark and shabby.