reassurance?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Carol

reassurance?

Looking for reassurance from the incredibly knowledgeable folks on this site! I've been reading - you guys have been everywhere! <BR> <BR>Anyway, taking entire family (includes 11 and 14 yr old) to Italy for 20th anniversary celebration (October 10 -21)! Arriving in Rome, exiting Milan. No jokes about kids on a wedding anniversary celebration! <BR> <BR>We're getting connecting 2 rooms (kids in their own room!)in the following cities: Rome @ Inter-Continental (next to Hassler) - 3nights; Florence @ Hotel Unicorno- 3 nights; Venice @ The Bauer - 3 nights; Lake Como @ Tremezzo 2 nights, we're picking up a car as we leave Rome and driving to all of the locations, have arrnaged parking, planning to make reservations only for Uffizi before we embark. <BR> <BR>I've read every book that seems to make sense and looked up just about every web site. I made all of the arrangements myself, that way I could actually talk to to the hotel, airline, car rental folks myself. <BR> <BR>I'm placing a lot of hope in the hands of the concierge and innkeepers to help us after we arrive, I really hope they can help us with suggestions finding reliable personal tour guides, local eateries, etc. I'm overwhelmed with info! <BR> <BR> <BR>I've decided that I now know enough to be dangerous! Tour guide books can make you insane!!!!!! <BR> <BR>Here are the following points I hope to make for my family (I'm so confused...): David (11)wants to see Galileo's finger in Milan (on the way to Como), Tori (14)wants to ride a horse (in Como, or as I read, the Park at Villa Borghese). Oh, yes, David would like to eat at Mac Donald's just to see if it is any different. I think I'll look for some Gelato! the hubby? I've rented him a Mercedes for the Autostrada! <BR> <BR>I'm just delighted to go! I'll love it all! <BR> <BR>How's it look to all of you travelers???? <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:39 AM
carol

sorry, lest you think I am only interested in silly stuff, I am well aware of the history, art, and culture. My son is looking forward to translating the Latin phrases and my daughter has read my book on Italian culture, they have both studied church history as it relates to world history in Italy. <BR> <BR>I am a musician, can't wait to hear, see take it all in! My italian accent ain't have bad either!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Diane

Your trip sounds well planned and you should enjoy it tremendously.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Howard

Hey, you don't need any help from us. You've done great! And, you're going at a great time--most of the tourists are gone and the weather is still good! (How many wives would rent a Mercedes for their husbands?)

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:52 AM
loriann

Carol- <BR>I am deeply troubled by your cute and chatty upbeat smiley message. Were you in hiding yesterday?! <BR>Your trip to Italy sounds just swell(gelato, Mercedes and all..), but I can't believe that anyone can ignore the tragedy that happened yesterday have not seemed to have any impact on you. <BR> <BR>I'm not one to usually cast dispersions, but your message left me with a feeling of disbelief and a knot in my stomach that someone could be so uncaring to ignore what has happened and not have the sense to wait a week to post your message, especially since you are not going for another month. <BR>Stunned.. <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Agree with Loriann

Have to agree with you, Loriann. Obviously, Carol is the center of her own smug little universe. So sad.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:28 AM
dan woodlief

Carol, my guidebooks tell me Galileo's finger is at the Museo di Storia della Scienza in Florence. <BR> <BR>As for posting the question now, I know it isn't easy for any of us to think about things other than yesterday's events. However, the bills still have to be paid, work assignments still have to be finished, and even vacations have to be planned. These things don't happen by themselves. Certainly it is hard to think about other things at the moment, but time doesn't stand still to wait for the grieving to stop. I wish it did because I have felt numb and have been able to concentrate on little of anything since yesterday morning.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:42 AM
John G

Carol, please do not listen to Loriann or her dim-witted associate. Yes, what has happened is a terrible tragedy. But, life goes on, sweetie. What should we all do, go around in sackcloth and ashes? I certainly would go on a trip tomorrow, if I could, and enjoy myself. If this tragedy has taught you anything it should be that life is short and it can end with the snap of the fingers, so you better live it to the fullest right now!!!! Carpe Diem!! Go and have fun with your kids, Carol. JG

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:53 AM
won'ttellyou

I read that Carol doesn't usually cast "dispersions" what ever that is. She probably meant aspersions, but who knows. She obviously has no grasp on words greater than 5 letters. Pay no attention to her. Perhaps we should walk around dazed for many months to assuage the expectations of folks like her. We're Americans and we will not allow terrorists to to take our future from us. Carol, if you are an American, shame on you.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:54 AM
won'ttelyou

Sorry, I meant Loriann in the above post.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Still Agree With Loriann

Of course, life goes on, Dan and John. I agree with you both completely. Have no problem with Carol seeking advice and information. Just have to wonder about all those exclamation points and, to quote Loriann, the "cute and chatty upbeat smiley" tone of Carol's message. <BR>It is a little unsettling.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 11:07 AM
JK

Loriann and others: please don't tell people how to grieve and cope with this tragedy. People handle it differently and this may be Carol's way of coping. It may be more productive of you to be supportive of others rather then shoot them down so quckly.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 12:02 PM
carol

hmmm, I have been glued to the TV, radio, et. I have had to counsel my children about human suffering and their belief in a God who would protect them despite the evil that surrounds us all. <BR> <BR>I actually believed that you folks were doing the same, living only snippets of your lives (as we have), between the horror and sadness. <BR> <BR>Yes, life goes on. One cannot possibly expect me to bear my soul and worries in this forum, especially since (as a newbee), one is directed to keep all posting clean, to the point and friendly. <BR> <BR>Thank you for your support (those who understand). I will now go away, as apparently, some of you would prefer.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Sioux

Carol, Don't go away! There are some very obnoxious people on this site and if you read other messages you will see that. People are so quick to judge when they don't have all the facts. It is they who should be ashamed. Of course what happened yesterday is a monstrous tragedy, but dwelling on it 24 hours a day will make you crazy. Thinking of travel plans can be a welcome relief to the pain around us as we also grieve for the victims and their families.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Michelle

Carol: I hope you come back to the forum to read this message... <BR> <BR>Like you, I find it very difficult to express online the overwhelming emotions I feel in response to yesterday's tradgedy. I don't know if my inadequate expressions of sorrow would be of any help to the victims and their loved ones; I only hope my prayers are being heard and will help in some small way... <BR> <BR>I traveled with my family, including an 11 and 14 year old, to Italy in June. In fact, we stayed at the de la Ville Inter-Continental in Rome. Please feel free to e-mail me. I'll be glad to share my experiences with you.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Still agree with Loriann

Carol, please don't let Loriann and I chase you away. We understand that a lot of people are asking for travel advice and info today -- after all, this is a travel board. Only most are doing it with a more subdued tone, fewer exclamation points and less merriment. <BR> <BR>I do hope you and your family enjoy a marvelous trip.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Leslie

Carol, <BR> <BR>I hope you and your family have a wonderful time in Europe. And, have a great time celebrating your 20th wedding anniversary. <BR> <BR>I can feel your enthusiasm and excitement. You will have a great time. <BR>Keep up your confidence and positive outlook. <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Myer

Yes!! We are all still in shock. <BR> <BR>But unless you are either in NYC or Washington the only thing you can do is give blood (I'm not sure you can do any more even if you are there). I've been sent home on each of the past 2 days due to the phenominal turnout at the blood banks here in South Florida. Blood only has a very limited shelf life. Remember to give in a week or 2 when the supplies dwindle and more is required. <BR> <BR>Some of us can only concentrate on one thing each year. Others can handle more than one. <BR> <BR>Carol. You have done an outstanding job planning and considering the interests of each person. Not an easy task to do. <BR> <BR>Things will go wrong. Roll with them. Things will go right. Have a great time. Each of our trips has had some minor annoyances but each was a great success. <BR> <BR>We've been to Italy several times and it's beautiful. The only Italian I know is Hello, Good bye, Thank You and You're Welcome. Except for a few little things that was all we needed. The people are great. <BR> <BR>Congratulations on the anniversary. <BR>Have fun!!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:00 AM
nancy

Carol, <BR>This has been so shocking for so many people . <BR>As you can see from other posts here, t all threads, even those trying to express only the best intentions, get sidetracked by other posters who feel the need to bring contention into all threads!!!!! <BR> <BR>Don't go. <BR>I am one who has taken heat from posters with silly critisisms. <BR>I do my best to ignore them, or at the very most , respond, but in kind. <BR> <BR>I have been following your post, but it took me severaly days before I could reply . <BR> <BR>Congrats on upcoming celebration of 20 yrs! <BR>(This is from one who went to Italy last summer with family, and husband , who then told the children he was moving out, 2 days after we returned from the trip! Long story, we did have fun though, and I got lots of support from kind people here) <BR> <BR>Anyway, <BR>I think the trip you have planned sounds lovely, busy!!!, but one you will remember. <BR>Our children were almost 14 and 11 when we went to Rome. <BR>They loved it!! <BR>Villa Borghese also has these really fun looking machines that 3people can ride /drive. <BR>they have a coach-like seat, a canopy over the seat, a steering wheel, <BR>and maybe also pedals(?) <BR>We did not take one as it was so late when we finished our Villa B. tour. <BR>But, there were many people riding around the park in them. <BR> <BR>There are many McD's in rome, so your son will have no trouble locating one. <BR> <BR>If you have any interest in doing a tour of the Villa B. it is advicable to book your tickets head. <BR> <BR>Gelato is a good way to settle tired children down, even if it is 10:30 am! <BR> <BR>Have a blast, look forward to hear more about your plans. <BR>(sorry about my ramblings) <BR> <BR>