Reasonably priced Rome hotel in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2022, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6 week Europe tour booked including a Tauck tour for my husband and myself. Add in airfares and it is getting really pricey.

I am looking for Rome accommodation at about AUD500 to 600 a night up to 390 Euros approx. (What I want is over $1000 so I need to backtrack)

Of course I realise that staying close to tourist sights means expense but does anyone have any suggestions of where to stay in this price range in mid May 2023. I do prefer the old traditional hotel looks of ROme (not sure the word for it) rather than something I can get back here in Australia. You know the gloss and modern look.

Hope anyone has suggestions

THanks so much.
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 09:28 AM

We stayed at this hotel (which was under different management at the time) a few years ago: https://www.tmarkhotelvaticano.it. It is located right across from the Vatican Museum. The hotel was comfortable and quiet and we would be happy to stay there again.
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 09:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Your budget is considerably more than mine but if you don't mind spending less I can wholeheartedly recommend Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere. It's comfortable, excellent breakfast, I like the location, close to the tram & a good walking area & the staff were just as kind as they could be.

https://www.leclarissetrastevere.com/

Old Nov 27th, 2022, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MissGreen
I have a 6 week Europe tour booked including a Tauck tour for my husband and myself. Add in airfares and it is getting really pricey. I am looking for Rome accommodation at about AUD500 to 600 a night up to 390 Euros approx. (What I want is over $1000 so I need to backtrack) Of course I realise that staying close to tourist sights means expense but does anyone have any suggestions of where to stay in this price range in mid May 2023. I do prefer the old traditional hotel looks of ROme (not sure the word for it) rather than something I can get back here in Australia. You know the gloss and modern look. Hope anyone has suggestions THanks so much.
There are many hotels in your price range, in all parts of the city. I don't know where you've been looking, but I usually use booking.com .

In the vicinity of Termini station, you can find many decent hotels even under €300 per night. We sometimes stay in the Hotel Mediterraneo, a 5-minute walk from the station. It's an old-fashioned luxury hotel whose glory is somewhat faded and whose luxury doesn't match 21st century definitions. It is clean and comfortable, it has a varied and abundant breakfast included in the price of the room, and it has a rooftop restaurant which has good-quality meals, although I usually dine elsewhere. I tried a one-night stay in mid-May, which was €250. https://www.booking.com/Share-1ylbd
The Termini station area is not picturesque; it's a busy commercial area, whose buildings are mostly 20th century. However, it's very convenient, a transportation hub for buses, taxis and the metro, and a 15-minute walk from the Colosseum. If you prefer a more charming neighborhood, I can suggest several areas.

Rione Monti - a very ancient neighbourhood, some of whose streets date from ancient Roman times. (Julius Caesar owned an apartment block there.) This area is very near the Colosseum. I've never stayed there myself, but on booking.com, I don't see any hotels over €200 per night in mid-May. The Hotel Raffaello, which is spoken of very highly by travellers I regard highly, is just under €200 per night in mid-May.

Trastevere, preferably near where Viale Trastevere meets the river. This is now a very trendy area, with many restaurants, but not many hotels. It was once a working class quarter, with a thriving Jewish community. I don't often stay in Trastevere, partly because it's a bit out of the center and partly because there are not many hotels, although there are guesthouses, B&Bs, and apartments. The Santa Cecilia hotel is highly rated, but fairly expensive. It might be over €400 for your dates. Be aware that Trastevere is a very large area, and many parts are not very convenient for walking or transportation. Look for the area where the long straight Viale Trastevere meets the river, which is an easy walk from Piazza Navona and Campo de'Fiori.

The Ghetto area, across from Trastevere, where the Jewish community spread out from Trastevere. This area is within walking distance from nearly everything. I used to always stay there, and my favourite hotel was La Lunetta, on a charming little piazza, in a very central location. https://www.booking.com/Share-ZuBPw1

Then it was closed for restructuring, and it reopened as a boutique hotel, a bit out of my price range, but probably within yours.

Last edited by bvlenci; Nov 27th, 2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KTtravel
We stayed at this hotel (which was under different management at the time) a few years ago: https://www.tmarkhotelvaticano.it. It is located right across from the Vatican Museum. The hotel was comfortable and quiet and we would be happy to stay there again.
That looks exactly what I want. Reasonably nice and good price and location.

Thanks so much. x
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Your budget is considerably more than mine but if you don't mind spending less I can wholeheartedly recommend Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere. It's comfortable, excellent breakfast, I like the location, close to the tram & a good walking area & the staff were just as kind as they could be.

https://www.leclarissetrastevere.com/
Hi there, thanks so much for this. I had a look at the hotel and it is quaint. For my money I could get the junior suite with balcony. Might be good for a bigger room. I hate the thought of a small room. We usually have a suite when we stay elsewhere but when we add business class fares from Emirates it is adding up to a massive cost so I need to try and cut back somewhere. I will mention this to my travel agent. An overseas friend also mentioned this area too. Thanks x
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bvlenci
There are many hotels in your price range, in all parts of the city. I don't know where you've been looking, but I usually use booking.com .

In the vicinity of Termini station, you can find many decent hotels even under €300 per night. We sometimes stay in the Hotel Mediterraneo, a 5-minute walk from the station. It's an old-fashioned luxury hotel whose glory is somewhat faded and whose luxury doesn't match 21st century definitions. It is clean and comfortable, it has a varied and abundant breakfast included in the price of the room, and it has a rooftop restaurant which has good-quality meals, although I usually dine elsewhere. I tried a one-night stay in mid-May, which was €250. https://www.booking.com/Share-1ylbd
'

This hotel was perfect for the price. I was looking at 3 nights before my tour and it was AUD730 a night. Really jacked the price up.
Old Nov 29th, 2022, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by MissGreen
That looks exactly what I want. Reasonably nice and good price and location.

Thanks so much. x
The Vatican area isn't terribly convenient for visiting other areas of the city.