Reasonable Priced Restaurants

Jan 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Reasonable Priced Restaurants

Message: Can anyone reccommend restaurants with good food that two people can dine with entree prices around $10 - $17 and have a decent atmosphere, does not have to be fancy or romantic, just not cafeteria-like. Thanks!! We will be staying around Piccadilly but are willing to travel for good food!

Jan 19th, 2004, 11:58 AM
rex

I'm sorry that I can not answer your question - - but good sense ad common courtesy would dictate that you mention the city/country (London, England - - yes, I realize it's not a big mystery where Piccadilly is) when you ask a question in the future - - preferably IN the message header.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Maybe I'm just feeling lazy today, but I have typed out so many marathon long suggestion posts on this exact topic as have so many other people, that I really don't feel like repeating today.

How about entering "Inexpensive restaurants in London" in the search function? After reading the suggestions for an hour or two, feel free to come back here and ask specifics about any of them.
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, Rex,

Instead of replying to a message with rude comments, why don't you simply not respond to messages that you feel are not worthy of your response. This is a message board, it is not your job/duty to respond to everyone.
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Is it just possible, Suzburger, that these two posts could be taken as helpful and reasonable responses by anyone who didn't have some chip on the shoulder. There is nothing wrong with trying to help a person use this board to a better advantage. I assumed you didn't know how to use the search function or you would have already done so and would have found the 70 long and detailed threads on this very subject -- far more information that you can hope to gain from the answers to your one single question.

I said I felt lazy today, but if you are too "lazy" to do the proper steps to get a good start on this very subject, then you win the lazy contest!

So what is your basic problem? Are you just too lazy to do the search? Or do you think you are so special that it warrants the regular posters repeating the exact same detailed posts they've given before?

By the way, there was NOTHING rude about my first post, but after your post, I'll admit that I've taken a RUDE approach with this one.

I'll do my best to remember your name for future posts since you've made it clear you are totally uninterested in any help I may have for you. Sorry to have taken the time to try to help you.
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Wow, what a nice thank-you you get on this board by offering helpful/reasonable comments!
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:45 PM

I have to agree with Patrick. This is a frequently asked question with lots of recent replies.

It really is best to do a search first and THEN come back with questions on specific restaurants you may have an interest in.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:05 PM
CalgirlSusan

Rex and Patrick get my support too. A rude answer would have been one that mentioned your error of saying reasonable priced instead of reasonably priced and then not offering any help.
Patrick explained where to get the information you asked for. How is that a rude answer?

Jan 19th, 2004, 01:20 PM
rex

Unlike Patrick, I have generally never answered question about London restaurants. My point was that until I looked at this question, I did not know that I was stepping into a question about London restaurants. And when I saw that this is (most likely) a posting from someone who might not realize - - Fodor's does NOT automatically incirporate the country you "click on" anywhere in your posting.

I genuinely though I was offering helpful advice.

Her's the only other thing I can contribute to your needs for info on restaurants near Piccadilly, suzburger...

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/tube_search.asp?tube=2

Knowing some of the restaurants by name might allow you to ask specific questions about those that sound interesting to you.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:54 PM

If you like Indian and Chinese food you can eat fairly cheaply--and well, too. I would suggest that you pick up a copy of something like "Cheap Eats" when you get to London. There are some good places in Soho, on the edge of the sleazier spots.
Jan 19th, 2004, 04:20 PM

why don't you all just do one of two things, either answer his question or say nothing. i don't think fodors has appointed anyone as "board police" this week. i don't blame him for his question, maybe he would just like a fresh answer instead of the same old crap that always seems to be floating around here.

who wants to use a nasty old recycled post anyway?
Jan 19th, 2004, 04:52 PM

suzburger: just in case you read thru all this, I can recommend Wagamama's. I thought the food was excellent and certainly within your price range. It's definitely not cozy; you sit at long tables with others. The one I went to was near the British Museum but I think they're all around. In London, it's tough to get a good meal in that price range. You might look at Rick Steves' London guidebook.

By the way, really, the first two posters were trying to be helpful. Sometimes it just doesn't come off that way. If you're new to Fodor's just shrug it off. There's tons of good info here.
Jan 19th, 2004, 04:56 PM
CalgirlSusan

Richardab, what a good idea. Just answer the question or say nothing.
Something must have happened to the rest of your response. I'm unable to see the answer you gave!

Jan 19th, 2004, 04:59 PM

richardab,

I think you're missing Patrick's point. He's not trying to get someone to look up an old, outdated post. Instead, he's helpfully pointing out that someone RECENTLY asked this identical question and received a lot of replies. I, in fact, was one of the posters offering advice for reasonably priced food in London in a previous post. Since I just posted an answer to a similar question, I was not going to bother posting the same answer here. To tell you the truth, it gets really old to everyone.

Susan
Jan 19th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Thanks, bellairegirl, but as usual this post is sort of getting out of hand. And for the record it wasn't a matter of looking up AN old post. I entered what I suggested on the search function and got 70 different threads with an average of probably 20 posts. That means there are some 1400 posts of suggestions (mostly recently) that will answer the question being asked. That's a whole lot more advice that the poster is likely to get from just reposting the same "old" question. On the other hand, when someone mentions places they've read about on the other posts and ask if it's still good, or if there are other places similar closer to a certain location, we're all eager to answer.

To me it's like having someone asking a friend for a list of all the best places to shop, then a couple days later saying, "will you write those down again please. I put the list in my purse and it's too much trouble for me to look for it". As if it isn't too much trouble for the person who went to the trouble of making the list to go ahead and do it all over again.

Calgirl, good point. It is funny when someone says if you don't have an answer then don't post -- but that person posts anyway without an answer.
Jan 20th, 2004, 04:06 PM

dear bellairegirl...

if retyping your answer is such a hassle i would like to introduce you to a really cook function on your computer. its called copy and paste. here is how it works - simply highlight all the text that you would like to transfer and select "copy" in your edit menu. then place your cursor where you would like the text to go and then select "paste" from the edit menu, VIOLA! you text magically appears!

oh the wonders of the 21st century.

Jan 20th, 2004, 04:26 PM

dear CalgirlSusan,

thank you for pointing out my omission. please find my suggestion below.

try the stockpot (panton street, w1)? the location between leicester square and piccadilly circus may suggest high prices, but this restaurant is one of the best bargains in london. the food is pretty much traditional english, with a few european additions. most main courses except pasta and omelettes come with sides and the desserts are great, old-fashioned ones like treacle sponge pudding and even jelly! main courses are around £3 and the surroundings are more café than restaurant. ther are also other stockpots at 273 Kings Road, 18 Old Compton Street (soho) and 6 Basil Street in Knightbridge

for other cheap meal don't forget fish and chips, pubs, the chain called pizza express and indian tandori restaurants.

there is also a chain called Pret a Manger which is located all of the city which offers great sandwiches in really creative combinations. For locations...

http://www.pret.com