Reasonable Itinerary

Search

Reasonable Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasonable Itinerary

I'm zeroing in on an itinerary for a trip late/May early June. Does this sound reasonable? We'll pick up a car on our way out of Venice. Other suggestions/alterations welcome:
Venice - 4 nights
Ravenna - 2 nights
Verona - 2 nights
Bolzano - 2 nights
Bellagio - 2 nights
leave from Milan

Too many stops? Too much driving?

Thanks,
Alice
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:04 AM
ira

Hi Alice,

You won't be driving for more than 4 hr on a given day - that's good.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:09 AM
rex

Yes. No. No.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:14 AM
ira

Hi Rex,

Am I correct - 2 questions, 3 answers?

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM

first question:
"does this sound reasonable?"
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
rex

As noe... points out, there are three questions in the original post.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM

I would skip Bolzano unless you have relatives there. If you are flying out of Malpensa, it is an easy trip down from Stresa (on Lago Maggiore) to the airport. It's a 50 minute bus ride (and the bus runs as early as 5 am) if you don't have a car.

So I suggest going to Bellagio from Verona, and from Bellagio to Stresa.

People also tell me that you can easily get to Malpensa from Lago di Orta, but I don't know if you can take a bus if you don't have a car.

I'm so glad to see you are going to Ravenna! It's a wonderful, unusual place, and not only for the mosiacs. The "centro storico" is actually quite nice and the culture of the town is very different from the rest of Italy. It's quite a business town -- and before that puts you off, what I mean by that is the food is really very good and things tend to be a bit more regular and punctual. And those mosaics are to die for.

I love Verona, too, and two nights gives you time to relax and enjoy the town -- and even visit the fascinating Duomo, which not everybody does.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Uh, re-reading your post, I now do see you have a car. But I still stick with my advice.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Boy, you guys can be picky! In response to the response to my THREE questions:
1) I'm glad this sounds reasonable. I want to spend the most time in Venice, and less than 2 nights anywhere is always a mistake (at least for me).
2) My husband would prefer 1 less stop, but I can't decide which I'd drop. Maybe Bolzano, I'm a little concerned that we're going too early in the summer season.
3) I had checked mappy.com for driving distances, and if that is accurate, you're right, everything is under four hours, some legs considerably.

Thanks so much for your expertise, I really appreciate it.

Alice
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM

If you are planning to drive from Bellagio to Malpensa to catch a morning flight -- or any flight -- leave yourself ample time to get there and drop of the car. Traffic around Milan can be very undpredictable and jam up.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Hi Alice,

Agree that it sounds like a great itinerary. I'm a huge Ravenna fan, hope after your visit you and DH will be too. The drive between Venice and Ravenna is very interesting - enjoyed the birds and river deltas, eel nets, etc.

If you're thinking about alternatives to Bolzano, we enjoyed our stay in Bassano del Grappa. Another consideration is Asolo, or even Sirmione on Lake Garda. The north end of Lake Garda is pretty spectacular as well.

Have a grea trip!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:35 PM

Alice, I am another one that loves the drive between Venice and Ravenna! Try to stop when you see some little cafe along the way, even if it just for coffee, or better yet lunch. Always such good food in those little family run places and the people are always so nice. You will have a beautiful trip. Lake Garda is beautiful..but you could get a thousand suggestions regarding Italy. Also although Asolo isn't my "favorite place" it is enjoyed by most people and the countryside is breathtaking..but so much of Italy is. May I make a suggestion, don't change your itinerary to many times, you will drive yourself crazy, LOL. When you feel it is workable and pleasurable for both of you just stop thinking about your itinerary. But then start dreaming about your the time you will have in Italy. Enjoy!!