driving itinerary in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have been to Italy several times, always with a planned itinerary. This time we want to try to go with no particular plans except our flights. We would like to fly into Florence for a couple days, pick up a car, and end up in Sorrento/Naples for a few days. We plan to go in late May, in order to incorporate our anniversary on the 27th and a "free" Memorial Day vacation day. I would really appreciate any suggestions on which towns to visit. We really enjoy the smaller towns (been to Pisa, Lucca, Sienna, Assisi). Is it foolish to think we can just drop in anywhere and find a decent hotel? Also, what is the best way to rent a decent car? Once again, all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:40 PM
rex

<<Also, what is the best way to rent a decent car?>>

Start with AutoEurope. That may be as far as you have to look. And refresh (if needed) your manual transmission skills.

<<Is it foolish to think we can just drop in anywhere and find a decent hotel?>>

All the people who provide and receive advice on this forum will thank you for NOT making reservations in advance - - you won't be competing with "us" for the accommodations with the best locations, the best features and the best rates that "we" snarf up by making reservations in advance. We appreciate your settling for the places in the less ideal locations, with the crummier features, at the higher rates.

Cynical of me to say it this way - - but I think you get what I'm trying to say....

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:25 AM
ira

Hi g,

Ditto, Rex.

Also check www.novarentacar.com

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:40 AM

I think the responses are a bit harsh.

There's a fine balance between serendipity, and planning. There's great joy in preparing for a journey, but there's also a certain romanticism, and a greater depth of experience in expecting the unexpected. An ideal holiday is one which includes both.

Think about what is non-negotiable for you, and plan for that. Take the rest as it comes. Yes, you may end up not staying in the best places. You may even end up staying at some nasties. But you may also end up discovering totally new and brilliant places that few know about. Return and tell us about all of them!

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Rex for your comments. I really am avid planner so your advice brought me back to reality... Can you please make some recommendations for the smaller towns (with decent lodging)that will be in the path of our travels? Thanks again. And thank you Sunscreen for comments as well. I think we may try a couple of side trips to soothe our adventurous spirits. g
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM
rex

In your original post, I started to question your use of the term "smaller" towns to refer to Pisa, Siena, Lucca or Assisi. These are all "top 25" destinations in Italy. Of the four, I have only spent an overnight in Assisi (twice, actually - - and I can recommend both hotls: Umbra and Fontebella, and you can find a lot of posts here about both).

They are, of course, all four, "smaller towns" with rspect to "the big three" - - and there are a lot of candidates, of similar size and smaller that get lots of good remarks here on this forum: Arezzo, Cortona, Orvieto, Perugia, Todi, Gubbio, Spoleto - - I am not an expert on any of these - - and there ar many more, much smaller, in southern Tuscany, in Umbria and in th generally less visited provinces of Le Marche and Rieti; I do know Rieti a litle bit - - see an unfinished post at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34638055 (who knows? I may finish this, some day)

There are dozens more ideas from dozens of people who know thse parts of Italy a lot better than I do.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:57 AM

we used Tuscany.net to find farmhouse to stay in a few nights (vs. a whole wk). We enjoyed San Gimignano but our fave area was S of Siena:
See the Abbey de Monteoliveto (sp?),
Montalcino, Pienza and Montepulciano. Don't drive up into the hill towns, park at the bottom and walk or take the shuttle up. We got stuck and drove into the middle of town and it was a bit scary (stick shift, crowds, small streets etc). !