Rearranging my Germany trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted earlier that myself and 16 yo daughter are going to Garmisch in Jun 08 (15 days). However, since becoming a mbr of this site I'm thinking about making some changes.

We currently have airline tickets into Munich and hotel accomodations in Garmisch. The accomodations are approx $120 US per night. Are there any suggestions of other places to stay at a similar or lessor cost. I'm not sure about hostels, only because I do not know a great deal about them.

Any recommendations, to include how/where to eat will help.

ST
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Information-filled, noncommercial site about all things Bavarian. Enjoy!

www.bensbauernhof.com
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Hi florennes,

Is you are going to be there for a week, you'd probably save money if you stayed in an apartment.

I spent a month in an apartment in nearby Mittenwald and loved the experience. You can find all of the apartments at the town's website

www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de

then click on "English" and you'll go directly to the tourism pages.

It might take some time to find the right apartment for you because there are dozens and dozens of them! But I'm sure that you can cut the price almost in half.

Good luck!

s
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:00 AM
J62

An apt is a great idea. Since Garmish is a popular German ski area there has oodles of them, (called Ferienwohnung in German).

You get more space than a hotel room, and can save $ on meals by eating 1, 2 or even 3 meals a day. It is rumored that 16yr olds like to sleep late some days, so a late breakfast at the apt solves the problem of having to roust her out of bed only to pick at the hotel buffet and eat nothing. Many apts also have a washing machine so you can pack lighter.

One of her stated objectives is to 'chill' if I remember correctly.

I always rent apts with my family when I travel now. I'm an early riser, so I get up & out (at dawn) while the rest of the family sleeps in. I like to stop by a bakery for a fresh baguette, find a food market for fresh fruit or lunch fixins, or sit at an outdoor cafe and sip my coffee while I watch the village wake up. Some of my favorite traveling moments are those early mornings just hanging out people watching.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:19 AM

Hi florennes,
youth hostels in Germany are no bad idea in general. Some are basic, others good.
Just check www.jugendherberge.de (English version available).
Anyway, they are all cheap and your daughter maybe can find some new friends.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:37 AM

Renting a place has become one of the ways travelers are mitigating the rising costs of traveling to Europe. I have done it on my last three trips and it has worked out wonderfully. Try also holiday-rentals.com
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:45 AM

florennes:

Go to the Bavarian Ben site as Betsy recommended.

One nice dinner night would be to try the "Fraundorfer" on the Parkenkirchen side of G/P.

Wil you be traveling by car? That opens up yuou housing options to stay!
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM

As far as Jugendherbergen are concerned, keep in mind that this is Bavaria. The strict age limit has been abandoned a couple of years ago, but people under 27 still have priority. The parent cannot be 100% sure to find a bed there.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:47 AM

florennes-- a follow-up on my previous post: if you go to the holiday-rentals.com site, see property 3297; an apartment studio for 2 about 5 min. walking distance from the center of Garmisch shopping area, ski lift, etc... At $90/night sounds like a deal. They are available (at the moment) for your dates. I have used this site and have no complaints.