Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

REALLY stupid question: Is Iceland Smelly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a dumb question, but we just got back from visiting Italy and went to a volcano that was full of steam vents, bubbling mud etc that smelled very strongly of sulfur and my husband was sooooo nauseous. I felt bad for him. Of course I didn't think it smelled *good* but it really made him sick. I've been so excited about going to Iceland but I know that there's a lot of geothermal activity. How sulfur-y is it, especially in the places we'd probably be if we went for a brief 3 or 4 day trip? Do I have to go by myself?

Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Why do people characterize their own questions as "stupid?"
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM

LSUvetgirl,

I can't speak for everywhere in Iceland but we were at the various hot springs in the Krafla area last June.

Near the springs there was a smell of sulphur, not overpowering to me and quite localised so easy to get away from. However there's an awful lot of Iceland that isn't sulphurous - and even more fresh air.

Michael
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Not as smelly as a crowded SRO Paris bus in August.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I was in a Reykjavik hotel and the hot water in my bathroom was very sulfery-- I pretty much tried to hold my breath the whole time I was using it. But others (I was at a conference) at other hotels reported no bad smells at all, so I think I was just unlucky.

The cold water was fine, and public places like restarrants and such were also fine. The outdoor air is bracing and fresh and clean.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:16 AM

I just got back from 5 days in Iceland. The hot water does have a strong sulfur smell - I recommend a quick rinse in cool water after a shower. You only smell it when you turn on the hot water or pass by a hot spring. If you go to the Blue Lagoon, you will also smell it, but you quickly get used to it. The smell is not bad enough to warrant skipping the trip.