Search

Real beach

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real beach

On our upcoming tenth anniversary trip in late May, my wife and I want a brief respite between visiting Paris and Rome. Can you guys please recommend a real beach area where we can just lay around (or maybe have a few cocktails...)? I've heard St. Tropez (not easy to get to Rome) and Cannes/Antibes/Juan les Pins. PS-We're in our very early 30's. Thanks in advance!!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:16 PM
rex

If you're looking for an experience like Miami Beach/The Fontainebleau - - then you may not find anything in Italy in that league.

Still, unless it's "under-touristed" you want, then Forte dei Marmi - - take a look at http://www.versilia.toscana.it/augustus/fdm.htm for a birdseye view - - and the Augustus Lido, in paricular might be what you are seeking.

http://www.versilia.toscana.it/augustus

and

http://www.jpmoser.com/augustuslido-a.html

will help you get a glimpse - - and i this is not what you have in mind, then maybe some feedback on this suggestion will help direct a second-look search.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Rex:
Thanks for your help! I'm definitely not tied to Italy-- in fact, access from the French Riviera might be easier (to both Paris and Rome...) We aren't necessarily in the mood to get wild, but I'd like a nice beach environment to recharge batteries for a couple of days between Paris and Rome. Any other thoughts would be greatly valued, as we've never been abroad before...
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:33 PM
rex

I only know Antibes; the bottom quartile ofMiami Beach is better than the best of Antibes, for what you are seeking. Juan-les-Pins is clearly more upper-crust, but maybe not superior to Forte dei Marmi.

Does something about the sites I listed not resonate for you?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:44 PM

Just be aware that the Cannes Film Festival runs this year from I believe May 11 to the 22nd. Not sure if that presents an issue for you in terms of finding a place in that part of France.

We went to Cannes a few years ago and I really thought it was great. (The place, not the film festival.)
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Ryan:
Thanks for the head's up-- we'll be at the Riviera (whichever one) from 5/30 thru 6/2... As I mentioned, only a brief break between Paris and Rome.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Rex:
Actually, the places you mentioned look awesome. I'm just worried about getting in and out easily. Since we'll only be at the Med for a few days, I'd planned on flying in and out of Nice (between Paris and Rome) because the fares are pretty inexpensive, and the flights are short. Let me know what you think...
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:48 PM

May is a little early in the season for the Atlantic coast, but for overall value and beauty, as well as being a fashionable resort beach area, then I would suggest Biarritz in the Pays Basque, southwest France. It has everything you want and then some. You can fly in and out of the airport in Biarritz, or head down to Bilbao to make your connecting flight to Rome. You can download a copy of Maribel’s Guide to the Basque Country which includes information on Biarritz and the surrounding area.