Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ready to do the Priceline Plunge-Spain help please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:19 AM
canuck

Going to book hotels in Barcelona and Seville with Priceline. Please advise the lowest number of *** ratings you would go - I would like a well located, clean budget hotel. Thanks.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Sandy

I would suggest you go to biddingfortravel.com and read the Europe hotels board. Many of the Barcelona hotels are not exactly city center. Am not convinced Priceline is your best bet for Spain.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Rachel

Hotels in Spain are pretty inexpensive. While I use priceline quite often for hotels, you don't really need to do it in Spain.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Julie

Someone posted that you can get hotel vouchers for Spain at a website www.bancotel.com. I don't know exactly how this works (but would like to know once you find out or someone else there knows), but it sounds like you can get really good deals through this.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:58 AM
cooter

I agree with the posters above, priceline may not be the best option here. For both of these two cities, location is crucial (esp. Sevilla) and your choice should be impacted by factors such as number of people, time of year, whether you will have a car or not, proximity to attractions, etc.<BR><BR>If price is a big concern, Spain has a level of accomodation called hostal/hostales (not youth hostels) that can provide very satisfactory accomodations, many with private bathrooms and maybe even A/C, for between 30-70 Euro/night. The downside to hostales is that they do not have restaurants or many other amenities, and they sometimes (but not always) do not have 24 hour reception. Surf on over to www.madridman.com for lists of good hostales, and check out the bulletin board over there for lots of posts. For me, this is the best option for accomodations in Spanish cities. Alternately, you can purchase bancotel vouchers; you can get a list of hotels that accept them at www.bancotel.com, but check with the hotel for their willingness to take the vouchers on your dates.<BR><BR>In the countryside, there are casas rurales that are also great deals.<BR><BR>I would be worried about priceline sticking me in some business-class hotel 20 miles from the center of town...

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:31 PM
canuck

Another reason to visit this site! Many thanks for your input - I will save Priceline for another time, another trip!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Sid

check out biddingfortravel.com before placing ANY priceline bids. It's a board taht tells you what other have paid!!!