Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

RE-POST Room Question for Honeymoon. Please assist!

Feb 11th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Good afternoon,
I have decided to re-post my question, as the original did not receive a response. Can anyone offer an opinion on the difference of the following rooms/hotels:
SAN PIETRO - Standard double, with sea view and terrace.
SANTA CATARINA - Side-sea view double.
These rooms are about the same price. For anyone who has stayed, I'd love your thoughts!
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Molly -

Afraid I have not stayed at these hotels and am therefore unable to assist. However, rather than reposting, it's far preferable to "top" your own initial post by replying to it (find it by clicking on your name.) Or, if you must repost, try a more descriptive headline: "Hotel San Pietro or Santa Caterina in _______" (Your post mentions neither city nor country - I assume Italy, probably Amalfi coast?) This could be the reason for lack of response.
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:28 PM

I didn't see your first post, and not even sure why I looked at this one. I still don't have a clue where these are, except from the names I'd guess somewhere in Italy.
If you want good answers, posting something like "San Pietro or Santa Catarina in _______?(please fill in the blank for the city)" will probably get much better response as anyone who knows those hotels will be sure to see your post, open your question, and respond.

Hope this does not seem rude, just trying to help you get answers to your questions.
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:29 PM

LOL, Lesli, great minds work alike!!!
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:38 PM

I think you would get more response if you told us what city these are in.

I found these reviews. Please make sure they are for the same hotel you are asking about!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194863-d195498-r717245-Hotel_San_Pietro-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

(do a search and find on this page. Hotel called "Hotel Santa Catarina - Santa Cruz" is this yours??)

http://www.holidaysuncovered.co.uk/h...ira_misc_a.htm
Feb 21st, 2003, 06:49 AM

Hotel Santa Caterina, without a doubt, is the most romantic hotel you will find in Italy. It's perched on the cliff, you walk down to the sea and pool area through the lemon and olive groves (say Hi to the goat on the way down.) Great views. we stayed in the junior suite 2 summers ago (splurge, it's your honeymoon. It was WELL worth it.) the service is excellent. they can't do enough for you. we are well traveled, and I would definitely stay at hotel santa catarina, no contest.
Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:47 PM

Molly,

I have not stayed at either of these hotels,(we were at the Poseidon in Positano which we loved) but I can offer some thoughts about their locations. Santa Caterina has gotten raves on this forum and elsewhere, but it is at least about a fifteen minute walk, as I remember, from the town of Amalfi. San Pietro is also either a shuttle or car ride from the town of Positano. Both are exclusive hotels, but don't offer easy accessiblity to towns, so if you don't mind the idea of the hotel as destination you'll be fine. However, if you're the kind of traveller who prefers getting out and about, you might prefer something like Le Sireneuse which is smack in the middle of Positano, within easy walking distance to shops, restaurants, beach, etc. Just depends what you're looking for. Also would like to mention that we had dinner at San Pietro one night and found the place stuffy and the food mediocre, but that may be because we like to travel more casually on vacation. Anyway, good luck and congratulations!
Feb 22nd, 2003, 07:56 PM
lkj

We stayed at Le Sirenuse in Positano last May, and it was spectacular. I agree with the last post, that it was great to be able to walk from our hotel to all the sights, shops, etc. in Positano. We then spent a day driving to see Amalfi and Ravello. We had lunch at the San Pietro. It is beautiful, sits on a cliff, but it is stuffy and honestly all the orange decor (restaurant, lounge chairs, didn't seem to fit). Also it is accessbile to nothing. You must drive everywhere and I'm sure you've already heard about the road. I didn't stop to see the Santa Catarina, though I had planned to, it is written up as great, although again, you must drive. I'd at least consider Le Sirenuse or at least see it when you're there. Just beautiful and the rooms are so classy, view, food, service are great.
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Santa Catarina is about a 15 mn. walk, but a very short cab ride to town. We had a car. We visited Positano and found Le Siruse, although very impressive, very noisy, and smack in the middle of a very bustling, touristy atmosphere. Santa Catarina was much more quiet, romantic.