Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Re Barcelona Apt Rentals - a broad range of inconsistent choices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me?

I'm looking for a 7 week rental in Barcelona for next Feb/Mar in a fairly defined area (Bari Gotica/near Ramblas/maybe Ravel/close by Eixample, etc) - I've done a lot of homework so know the areas/streets/etc.....but I'm finding the apartments are really inconsistently priced. Anybody else have that experience in Barcelona?

We rented for 2 months in 2005 in Rome and I'm pretty familiar with the apartment product in Rome - there seems to be more consistency there.

It's making searching for apartments more difficult.

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM

I don't know about apartment rentals in Rome, but Barcelona has a group of fairly nice, upscale apartments, as does Madrid.

Have you checked the offerings on Friendly Rentals (http://www.friendlyrentals.com/), Home in Barcelona (http://www.homeinbarcelona.com/), or VRBO - Vacations Rentals by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com/79005)?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Robert - I had checked all those links, but when I clicked on your vbro link it actually has many more properties than the link I had.. Thanks alot - there are some lovely properties there.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Hi Elizabeth-

I "recognize" you from the Asia board, where I've enjoyed your blog postings.

I'm also looking at apt. options in Barecelona for next Feb, although just for a few days, not 2 months (lucky you).

In general, I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the apts (nice decor) vs. the price. I think there are a lot of rental apts. available as many Brits/Irish and others have bought vacation apts in Barcelona in the last few years.

I'm sure you will try to negotiate for a better long-stay rate....should be possible in low season.

One more website for you: www.way2stay.com

Good luck with your search.

Cruisinred
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi cruisinred - thanks for that link.

Regarding next February - many of the rental agencies have blocked off 5 or 6 days due to the 3GSM conference (around the 11-16th) or they've added a 100% premium to the rental amount - hope your dates are different!

My original posting was in a moment of frustration as I looked at two very similar apartments on the same street and the per night rates were wildly different with most other things equal.

Our biggest complicating factor is a requirement for high internet access (gotta keep that blog going! - no, not really - gotta work to afford 7 weeks away!).

Regards

Liz
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Hello

we rented in april an apartment with www.cocoonbarcelona.com
...look for their nice apartments they provide...the have a fine selection of different apartments..and I think as well for long-term-rentals

I recommend you to stay in Born, Barro Gotico, Eixample or Gracia...these are my favourite neighbourhoods...

so wish you luck to find something...
Maria