Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ravenna Lodgings - Suggestions/Experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm traveling to Ravenna in March to attend a week long mosaics course. I'm a woman and I'll be traveling alone. I like to dine at nice casual restaurants where I'd feel comfortable as a single woman but am not interested in a bar scene. The class is at The Mosaic Art School Via Negri Ravenna. The school doesn't really offer lodging recommendations per se.

I've never been to Ravenna before and would like a central location that is clean, comfortable, cheerful - dare I say with some charm? and with amenable hosts if it is a B&B or Inn.

I honestly am not sure of a budget as I just don't know what I'll need to spend.

I am pretty sure I'll be arriving by train via Zurich and Bologna and won't have a car that week unless I hear that's a bad idea from someone here.

Does anyone have any experience with Ravenna lodgings?

I have checked tripadvisor and some websites but nothing is jumping out at me.

Thanks for any help you can offer about lodgings, restaurants you enjoyed, or any other recommendations.

gruezi
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stayed three nights at this centrally located B&B in Ravenna in November 2006 for 50 Euro a night, large double room for single use:
http://www.casamasoli.it/

Three caveats:
The B&B is on the top floor of an old palazzo, and there is no elevator. The owner did rope her nephew, I believe, into taking my suitcase up for me.
My emails were in Italian; I think there might be someone in the family who speaks English, but I never tried.
All my interactions with the family were pleasant, but I don't seek any beyond the customary exchanges.

There is an excellent restaurant just around the corner, where I felt very comfortable as a single woman:

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Sorry, pressed the wrong key...

The restaurant is La Gardela:
http://www.ristorantelagardela.com/

The Ca de Ven is another pleasant restaurant/wine bar:
http://www.columbiaracing.it/cadeven/
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM

In Ravenna there is a very charming B&B. Its name is Mclub (www.m-club.it) and the patron / owner is a nice man, Michele Mantovani. Its location is gorgeous: the hearth of the historical center of Ravenna.
A very good hotel is ALBERGO CAPPELLO (www.albergocappello.it) the location is good enough and prices are very honest, cheap when compared with the quality of the hotel.
To dine out my suggestions are:
ALMA at Marina di Ravenna and, in the town, L'OSTEBACCO and ANTICA TRATTORIA AL GALLO 1909.

Ciao.

Vincenzo

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Hello gruezi, oh I think you will love Ravenna! At least I do.

Gruezi, here is the hotel that we always stayed at. The location is as central as it can get. If I was going to be on my own in Ravenna I would again stay at this hotel. The hotel is not a luxery hotel but it is very nice and comfortable and the staff was always so pleasant and helpful.

http://en.venere.com/hotels_ravenna/...tml?ref=744157

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM

We stayed at Hotel Centrale Byron in October. We absolutely loved it ! It's rated #1 on tripadvisor,
here is their link.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...a_Romagna.html
Have fun Genie
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ravenna travelers,

Thanks for all these great suggestions and the details. I'm going to go back and look at them all.

I'm really looking forward to this trip - I've been thinking about it for a while. It was a Christmas gift from my husband.

gruezi
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I stayed at Hotel Central Byron for several nights last January too, most centrally located, plenty of restaurants nearby: for simple lunch, try the Bizantino at the entrance of covered market (1-2 mintes walk); La Gardela (Via Ponte Marino,3)with very good and inexpensive meals is less than 5 minutes walk down the street, it seemed to get very busy if going late.

Ravenna has good public bus/train network, car rentral not necessary.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:59 AM

I didn't stay at the Centrale Byron but did not its superior location and would have stayed there if I had enough $$ at the time (We stayed at a cheap one-star place instead).

You will love Ravenna. The mosaics and their history were fascinating to my wife and I.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ravenna Lovers,

Well I leave tomorrow for my week long mosaic class. I'm taking the Cisalpino from Zurich to Bologna and then will switch to the local train on to Ravenna. It's a full day of train travel but flying didn't seem much easier and I prefer not to drive.

I decided to try the Villa Santa Maria as a lodging. I have no idea about location in relation to my class, but I'm throwing caution to the wind... they have other properties so perhaps will switch me if this doesn't work out. My understanding is that Ravenna is not all that large and that I can have access to a bike as needed.

My class is at the Mosaic School Ravenna and includes guided tours of the various mosaic sites in the area.

I have copied the restaurants recommended here and will give them a visit.

I'll report back on my return!

Thanks everyone for your help.

gruezi
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

I had a wonderful trip to Ravenna and really loved my mosaic class and seeing all the amazing mosaic in this wonderful little city.

I will get to a trip report over the next month or so, but please let me know if anyone has questions about Ravenna.

I did not end up "staying" at the Santa Maria in Foris but switched to the Santa Andrea. Lodging is a bit tricky in this city, but I did do a bit of research as I plan to return sometime over the next year. I'll include my insights in my report.

I absolutely loved the mosaic class and would highly recommend it!

The mosaic school:

www.sira.it/mosaic/courses.htm

[email protected]

gruezi

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Gruezi, I can only imagine what a wonderful time you had in Ravenna and how you enjoyed the mosaic school. I will look forward to your trip report.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Can't wait to read your trip report!

I am thinking seriously about taking a mosaic course in 2009. They raise the price by 100 eu after April 30 so I'm going to try to settle dates by then.