Search

Rain in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain in Rome

To all of you wonderful people...thanks...no white per my previous post!!!
Now, I'm looking at the weather forcast for Rome (9/17 -9/21) and it looks like rain. Since this is our furst trip to Italy, I really don't know what to expect. Any advise?? Also, on 9/21 we are going to Sorrento for the next 6 days. I guess I'm wondering what we can/can't do in the rain.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM

bring a brolly?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Rome isn't a problem in the rain, there are so many indoor things to see, churches, museums, etc.

Sorrento will be more of a problem if it rains.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.....I probably sound like a baby...worried about rain..but I live in San Diego, Ca....spoiled!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Accept the fact that it might rain and think seriously about what you would want to be wearing for a day of touring in and out of the rain.

I personally hate rain ponchos, because it's too easy to turn them inside out,then the next time you're wearing the wet side, etc.

I like a rain coat (we have great ones from REI that fold up very small) and a baseball or some other kind of cap, to keep the rain out of my eyes.

Umbrellas are fine, but when you are walking on a very crowded sidewalk or narrow street, it's hard to walk without bumping into everyone else's umbrella.

Finally, throw a few of the plastic grocery store bags into your luggage, to put your umbrella or other wet things in when you enter a church or other building - that will keep slick spots down.

Finally make sure you have at least two pair of shoes, in case one gets totally soaked.

I speak from lots of rain-related vacaton experience. It didn't rain on us AT ALL in the rain forest in Costa Rica, but we got a lot in Italy!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I prefer an umbrella precisely for the reason missypie states: if you don't use one other people's umbrellas will come perilously near your eyes on narrow or crowded streets. I carry a micro mini.

Also, even if the forecast is for rain every day, the chance of rain may not be high. I had one trip that predicted rain every day, but at levels like 30%, 40%, 60% . . . Over the five days, it actually rained during the day only once, and only for a few hours.

And, in any case, rain is a good reason to take a break in a cafe or gelateria.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Of course, that is how we ended up at the MCDONALDS by the Spanish Steps. We were cold and wet and wanted to warm up somewhere. All the charming cafes and gelaterias were packed, so we went to McD's. The kids LOVED their fries and I admit that a Coke with ice was a guilty pleasure!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM

It rained on us in Rome on all three of our visits, but really it wasn't a big deal. We were doing outdoor things every time it rained. The rain would typically last less than an hour. I would suggest coming up with a loose itinerary. In the event that it does rain, its a perfect opportunity to check out one of Rome's many glorious churches.

And if you are out and about when it starts raining and happen to forget your umbrella, never fear....there are hockers selling umbrellas everywhere! They just magically appear, and you can usually talk them down on the cost. Hubby got his umbrella, a big one, for 3 euros.

I'd rather spend a rainy day in Rome than a rainy day at home!

Tracy
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just buy an umbrella on the streets if it starts to rain.

Take a windbreaker with a hood from home if you want to get fancy.

Sit in cafes and drink wine until the rain stops (well that's what I do anyways).