rail tickets sell out?

Search

rail tickets sell out?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rail tickets sell out?

We will be traveling from Gare Lyon to Arles on June 5 and from Avignon to Roissy on June 11 via TGV, If we wait until we land in Paris on May 31 will it still be possible to buy these tickets at a train station, and which place, states or France would be more economical to purchase??
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:55 AM
rex

You should be fine purchasing 1-5 days in advance, when you arrive in France. And they will cost less there - - although you should look on sncf.com to see if a << PREM >> fare is available, as these are deeply discounted, and they DO sell out. You can buy those online (from anywhere in the world), and print them on your own computer (just like an airlines e-ticket).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:00 AM

Booking online ASAP at sncf.com will be your cheapest option. 2nd class PREM'S (discount) tickets for E46 are still available for Paris-Arles on June 5. You print them yourself. I only saw 1st class PREM'S for Avignon-Roissy on June 11. If you book a regular ticket on sncf.com, choose the option of picking it up at a train station or ticket boutique. Just be sure you bring with you the confirmation number you will be given and the credit card used to purchase the ticket.

Or you could simply wait to buy regular tickets when you get to Paris. That would still be cheaper than buying them from RailEurope and paying their booking fee.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:10 AM

I was planning on buying a ticket on the TGV leaving from CDG airport upon my arrival in Paris on Friday, May 5 (destination Agen). About two weeks ago, at the suggestion of a friend, I checked the SNCF website on availability and saw that the tickets were all sold out. I am now going to have to get into Montparnasse for another train later that day. I don't know how typical that is, but it does suggest that advance purchase is a good idea.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM

And don't neglect the France railpass, where you can get four unlimited travel days in a one-month period for $195 p.p. on a Saverpass in 2nd class and $230 in first class - the first class pass is a real bargain if compare to normal 1st class prices as is the second is compared to walkup prices. As mentioned discount PREM tickets, hard to get, can be much cheaper but are good only for the certain train and i think non-refundable non-changeable - not good for those landing in planes that well could be late - either have to build in lots of fudge time or miss train if too tight. Pass can be used on any train any time - you could reserve a seat on the train from the airport to Avignon when you buy the pass and then if you miss it at least you could use the pass to take another train and as they go hourly from Gare de lyon could likely get on as a walk-up, especially in first class where seats are much more available. And you may use the other two days on the pass from Avignon - day trip to Aix-en-Provence and other place. And passes are good for RER trains from Roissy airport to Gare du Nord - about a $10-15 value i think in case you have to go to Gare de Lyon. extra days on pass above four are just $25/day in 2nd class; $31/day in 1st if other train plans. Passes sold in US thru Raileurope - i always suggest BETS (800-441-2387) whom i've dealth with for years and testify to their expertise and lack of some of Raileurope's mailing fees i believe. www.ricksteves.com also has good info on France Railpasses. People under 26 get even cheaper passes than above prices.