Search

Rail Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Questions

I'm a bit lost with the rail issue. We'll be (1) flying into Amsterdam (making a couple of daytrips by rail), (2) taking the train to Paris (taking a daytrip out of Paris), then (3) taking a roundtrip TGV to Provence for some time, where we'll want a rental car for a few days. Then flying out of Paris.

Any suggestions on what is the best rail (or rail&drive) formulation on this? Or suggestions on how to determine this.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Hi , I'm French and would recommend the train between amsterdam and paris , (the THALYS as it's called) , then the TGV again from PARIS to MARSEILLE (www.sncf.com) , and try to buy PREM'S e-tickets , they should cost 20euros , you can't change your booking though , but it's so cheap , then rent a car in Marseille to go all over Provence:AIX-EN-PROVENCE, GORDES,SAINT PAUL DE VENCE , SAINT REMY DE PROVENCE, the LUBERON area ,don't forget the fabulous UZES(check all these on a map!) they're all yours!!!
Either drive back to Marseille if you're lucky enough to find another PREM'S e-ticket to go back to Paris , or you might be able to fly there with Easyjet if they still operate the line.
Enjoy , Cultural Provence really is worth the trip! (Picasso , Matisse , Cézanne , all of them stopped by)
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

So, you're saying no railpass then? Just a point-to-point on THALYS (which I've heard of but can't pronounce) and this PREMS thing roundtrip to Provence. I'm actually taking it down to Avignon rather than Marseille. What exactly is SNCF? The actual rail provider or a separate company?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM
ira

Hi jr,

Enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com. Click "only if it saves me money".

You can also look for reduced fares from Amsterdam to Paris and within France at www.sncf.com.

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:57 PM

jrask,

Since SOPHIEDEPARIS lives in France she might not be aware of Eurailpass which is only (with exceptions) available for purchase outside the 17 countries where it is valid.

SNCF is Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Français, the French National Railroads.

I could be wrong but Thalys is pronounced tahl-EES.

You have a lot of traveling and it's hard to say if a railpass is the right thing for you. Local trains in Holland are not expensive and the per day cost of a rail pass is much more. OTOH, your journey to Paris and the south of France and back to Paris could be more economical with a Flexipass. These allow, say 5 days of travel in a one month period. There are also discounts for two people traveling together. See your travel agent.

If you do not get a railpass I suggest that as soon as you arrive in Amsterdam that you go to a travel agent (they are everywhere!) and tell them what you want to do. They all speak perfect English and would be happy to help. You can also go to the International ticket bureau in the train station and maybe get service, except those are railroad employees and don't normally know what the word "service" means.

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. A couple more questions:

1. Any opinions on the Rail&Drive option? The France one gives 2 days of rail + a couple of days with a car. The Eurail Select version gives 3 days of rail, which would include my France-Provence roundtrip and the trip between Netherlands and Paris, plus some time with the car. These seem to cut down the rail days to what I would want as opposed to other passes. Depending on the price of car rental, perhaps one of these is the way to go?

2. It seems I'll also have to make reservations for TGV and Thalys (as well as the rental car). Can these reservations be done simultaneously with purchasing the pass or even before buying the pass? I have visions of buying a rail&ride pass and finding out that there are no cars available (I'm probably going to have to learn stick before the trip) or that the train is booked up and then the passes will be a waste.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:27 AM

SNCF is the French railway system. An early bird ticket is so cheap that the train/drive option might not save you any money. Check out what a rental might cost with Autoeurope or http://www.carrentalexpress.com/international/france/. You simply will have to spend time pricing the different options if cost is an issue.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM

You can add on days to either France Rail and Drive or eurail Select Rail/drive at time of issuance - France pass cars are thru Avis - eurail select is either thru Hertz or Avis - you are required to make car reservations at least 7 days in advance before you need it to guarantee availability in the size category you wish - you can in effect make a car reservation before you buy the railpass thru Avis or hertz so you'll know whether they are available or not where you need them. If you have any question I'd call Budget Europe (800-441-9413), a Rail Europe agent whose staffers will patiently answer all questions about these passes - i've dealth with them for years and they are extremely knowledgable and helpful whether you buy or not! They can also give you the needed code to mention so you can make a reservation before you actually purchase your pass. The France rail n drive may be better than Eurail in your case as you can get a 'Pass 2' fare of $57 Amsterdam-Paris on the Thalys if you have a France rail ' n drive pass: For a 3 day rail and 2 day car on each the France rail-drive would be $255 each and Eurail Sel Drive would be $310 each. with Eurail on Thalys you'd get $13 passholder fare vs $57 on France pass (because it doesn't cover the whole route, not being valid in Belgium or Netherlands)- thus would be $11 per person cheaper with the France version - a minor difference. But if you'll be day tripping in Netherlands you may want the Eurail Sele drive pass to cover trains there as well - extra days on Eurail Sel drive are $40 a day, on the France version $30 a day. Avis has the concession in French train stations, Hertz is usually next door so Avis may be more convenient is dropping off or picking up at stations. "SNCF" Societe National de Chemins de Fer is the name of the French railways.