Rafael Hotel - Rome

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 03:38 PM
Edna

Rafael Hotel - Rome

Can anyone tell me about this hotel? Thanks!

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 04:08 PM
chrissy

the correct spelling is the raphael hotel. check under search on this forum you will find information

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 11:48 AM
carol

The Hotel Raphael is a very elegant and intimate 5-star hotel well-loved by Fodorites who can afford it. Do a search as proposed.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 01:36 PM
Beth

Hi Edna,
I've reviewed this more than once. If you can't dig up my input e-mail me, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions. We liked it very much.

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Babbo

I stayed at this hotel last year on a business trip and, frankly, it is the most over-hyped hotel I have been for a long time. (The hotel was connected for many years with the now discredited --- and recently deceased--- former Italian Prime Minister Bettino Craxi.)

The single room I had was the size of a shoe-box. (This was the first time I could put one foot down from the bed and be in the bathroom!) Several of my colleagues in the US and in Italy who have stayed there and have come to the same conclusion. While apparently there are some nice rooms on the second floor, I don't think it is worth the money in spite of its location. Moreover, the restaurant is mediocre at best.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 11:26 AM
Patrick

Babbo, how did this hotel compare to other hotels in Rome where you have stayed in single rooms?? Most travelers I know who are going solo, always get a double room because most singes are as small as you state. You have me a little concerned as we are staying at the Raphael this year with another couple who have not been to Rome. The other 3 hotels we've stayed in in Rome have been major disappointements, despite being 3or 4 stars. We chose the Raphael because of numerous raves from people who have stayed there, not from a guide book or ad. Your colleagues who also complained -- did they have single or double rooms??

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Beth

Our double room at the Raphael was indeed, small. I've never stayed in any other hotels in Rome, but I've stayed in London and Athens, Florence and Venice and I thought our double was only slightly smaller than similarly priced hotels in other cities.

We never ate breakfast at the hotel, but we ate dinner there one night, and thought it was really quite good. I don't expect much out of hotel food, and I was pleasantly surprised. So I was very surprised by Babbo's comment that the hotel food was mediocre. I found it on a par with other restaurants we ate at in the area. And dining on the rooftop was a lovely experience. I also found the hotel staff very helpful and the service in the restaurant quite good. In the room itself, although small, the bed was quite comfortable. We had just barely enough storage for our clothes and luggage. The bathroom was fine, with plenty of hot water pressure. The A/C was adequate (and the weather was VERY hot so this was key. Our hotel in Venice had inadequate A/C, and that was most unpleasant).

I'd also add, that when we went last September, the Raphael's price was less than any other 4 star in the neighborhood. So I was satisfied with the hotel and would stay there again, particularly because the location was so good.

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 08:55 AM
Dona

Edna,

I really enjoyed staying at the Raphael on my last trip to Rome and would return in a minute.

As mentioned, single rooms in Italy are notoriously small, Our double room was fine , with a small extra room and a fine sized bedroom. If I were you and were worried, I would contact the hotel and tell them you want a larger sized double room. Also, it is very acceptable in Italy, when you check in, to ask to see the rooms available before you decide.

Good luck and enjoy the hotel. The service was wonderful, breakfast was fine, dinner on the roof was really pleasant - and being at the Piazza Navona is a great location...

Dona

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 02:22 PM
Patrick

Thanks, all. I feel confident once again about our reservations there. I guess no place makes everyone happy. We spotted the Raphael last year while poking around, went inside, took the brochure and they were very nice and friendly. Didn't see any rooms, but the hotel itself seemed great. I must say however, that their breakfast-- not included--is awfully expensive. I hope it is something more special that the free breakfasts we usually have in Rome.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Joanna

On an earlier posting re this hotel I advised that the hotel's mafia owners planned a major hit (of a Sicilian judge) from this hotel. It may have changed hands since then, and I'm aware that they may own lots of hotels, including some I've stayed in, but I would still steer clear of it.